Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show your roman belts?
Wow, good stuff here! But 9 months since the last 3rd century belt was shown... got to change that :mrgreen:

[attachment=3387]cingulum1.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=3388]cingulum2.JPG[/attachment]

Yes, the good old felix-utere-lettering on stiched and doubled leather.

regards

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]
Very Nice Kai!
I'm jealous! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This is an amazing work Kai!
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
VERY nice one Kai!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Laudes Kai!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thank you all!
I should say that the metal fittings came from Holger Ratsdorf and the actual belt was made by Rene Lucas, who also made the balteus and the scabbard you see. (I lack time and talent...).
regards
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]
Just like me then..lol
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This is my belt: a combination of Risstissen plates and Kalkriese

Oderint dum metuant (Gaius Caesar)
Claudius Cirrus/Klaus Locke
VEX LEG XXI RAPAX
That is a BEAAAUTY!!! I love the work of art on this belt Claudius. DID YOU MAKE IT!?! This with the copper rivets is true inspiration for anyone to make one themselves. Very good job whoever made this!! I also like the brass decor on the apron, very different but also nice and an attractive idea, if you want to be different. Could this be used on a belt with ring designs?

Regards, Sam
Samuel J.
Well this is just great...I just made more work for myself!

I bought some tinning paste today and experimented on some pieces of brass. After learning the right mixture of paste and heat the results are just amazing. So now I've decided to take apart my belt and tin everything! Also got a set of Raymond's Quiet Press pugio holders so they will get tinned and go on at the same time. While I'm at it I might as well make an apron...Pictures to follow in the next few days.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Jay, is it the Oatey #95 solder paste?

Legion: TBD
Yes, I couldn't find just paste, it's a paste/flux mix but it works pretty nicely. I tinned it twice letting it cool down between each application.

Antony
That should be fine, just watch it because it's such a super thin layer...I found this other stuff on ebay that has even more solder in it than the oatey...but it's an even smaller container than what I've been able to find at Rona/Home Depot for the Oatey.

Legion: TBD
Finally some pics. I tinned every other plate on my belt and part of the buckle. As I'm changing plates I'm also changing the rivets which have a smaller head. I also tinned my puggio holders (only the disc) and I've changed the strap so that the puggio is level with the belt rather than hanging down.

Antony
Quote:
Quote:"Would it have anything to do with apron studs with rivets passing through them?"

Give this man a cigar! Got it in one! I think it looks tacky, and it didn't appear so obvious in the website when I ordered it! So many mistakes, so little time........

There's an example shown in Bishop "The early imperial apron" 1992
which appears to have rivet which passes through the disc.
[Image: apronstud2.jpg]

I've decided to make an apron. I'm awaiting some plain brass discs to come in the mail and was wondering about attaching them with a copper rivet through the middle and then tinning the entire disc/rivet. Would this be acceptable seeing the above cited reference? If not would a soldered post on the back be strong enough?

Antony

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show your late roman belts? Virilis 18 4,064 01-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Virilis