Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show your late roman belts?
Salve!

I have plans of getting a late roman belt. Can you perhaps show your self-made belts and do you think they are easy to make with "primitive" skills & tools. I know that buckles etc. you can get from Raymond`s Quiet Press and Holger Ratsdorff... Thanks!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Can you perhaps show your self-made belts and do you think they are easy to make with "primitive" skills & tools.

Can you elaborate? is this a call to all who have a Late Roman belt? And what do you mean by 'self-made', only those who we actually made ourselves?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
http://www.geocities.com/ivarmaelstrom/cingulum.jpg
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Thanks Robert & Ivan!

I just would like to see something else than the Deepeeka infamous "late roman belts :wink: ". Ivan`s picture is a good example of close-up of a good, accurate late roman belt reconstruction. I am perhaps having a late roman belt made and I would like to see some good ones!

Btw, is it totally incorrect to made a flat oval plywood late roman shield or were they all categorically dished?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
OK, mine once more... 8)

[Image: P2140029copia.jpg]ç

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Thanks, Aitor! Maybe I will settle first to something more moderate, your belt is gorgeous! I assume there is no evidence of the colours of these belts?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Thanks, Jyrki, they would look a little bit different if I had designed it now...
About colours, I took the Great Hunt mosaic at Piazza Armerina as a reference for those ones.
BTW, have you had a look at Paul's nice belt here?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor, in fact we are designing with Paul a belt for me right now :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Aaaah! 8)

[Image: cingulum.jpg]

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
This one was made for me by Richomeres / Helge Dunbar:

[Image: t_oudenburg_101.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Guys, great belts Confusedhock: ! Was the thin strap always worn on late roman belts pointing in an unorthodox way to the right? If so, does this have something to do with wearing the spatha on the left side?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hi Virilis,

Here is my belt which I made myself several years ago. I'm planning to remake it in the not too distant future. I used Raymond's fittings but for the propellers I filed off the little curls on the tips of the 'blades' so they would fit better on the belt. I also ground off the rivets he soldered on the backs, drilled holes and riveted them on with small copper nails. I made my strapend and the suspension ring as well.

[Image: Cingulum01A-1.jpg]

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Quote:Guys, great belts Confusedhock: ! Was the thin strap always worn on late roman belts pointing in an unorthodox way to the right? If so, does this have something to do with wearing the spatha on the left side?

dunno, i plan to face mine to the left, its easier to tighten as a right hander.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Most depicted Late Roman belts have the strap hanging to the right, surely to avoid the spatha, which, furthermoer, would have obscured this showy, and undoubtedly important for the soldier, feature.
See this pair of snapshots from the Piazza Armerina 'Great Hunt' mosaic for belt colour and the very long strap-ends:
[url:2o97sjmf]http://www.galenfrysinger.org/Sicily/agrigento307.jpg[/url]
[url:2o97sjmf]http://www.galenfrysinger.org/Sicily/agrigento309.jpg[/url]

Notwithstanding, there are actual belt buckles which could only have been used witht he strap going to the left. I guess that in those cases, the strap was shorter and it was simply left hanging in front... :?

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Thanks, Aitor! Great to see that the straps were not categorically pointed to the right, it gives more variation. Btw, I would love to have a coffee table book of those Piazza Armerina mosaics, but I`m afraid there`s not one made Cry ! Is there perhaps any other good books about roman mosaics which contain pictures of those mosaics?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show your roman belts? Quintus Julius Furius 184 55,180 05-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  Late Roman belts by Aurificina Treveriana Agraes 15 4,550 06-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman belts- question... Caballo 9 3,303 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake