Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notebook Bag
A little bag shown zo me by a friend from a recent article from Vindonissa. According to the authors it was most likely used as a bag/container for writing tablets, sizewise it fits nicely for some of the tablets found in Vindonissa it seems. Interestingly, there is a almost identical pice of leather that was found in Vindolanda and first identified as a piece of horse or saddle gear by van Driel-Murray, but she know apparently is of the same opinion as the above authors.

Source: Volken, Marquita & Serge Volken. Drei neu interpretierte Lederfunde aus Vindonissa: Kopfstück einer Pferdedecke, Sitzfläche eines Klappstuhls und Schreibtafeletui. Gesellschaft Pro Vindonissa Jahresbericht 2005. 33-38.

Originals (top = Vindolanda, bottom = Vindonissa):

[Image: SchreibtafeletuiFunde_1.jpg]

Reconstructions:

[Image: Schreibtafeletui_05.jpg]

[Image: Schreibtafeletui_07.jpg]
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Martin! Big Grin D

When will there be an upper limit to your leather working skills?

Laudes well deserved.
Great work! Lovely to see, thanks Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Very nice!!! Specially the decorative diagonal stitching.
Damnit! Something else to sew!!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
BEAUTIFUL WORK, THANKS

Luc
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
Quote:Damnit! Something else to sew!!

Glad to keep you busy :-) )
Quote:
Primvs Pavlvs:3ln6aqlb Wrote:Damnit! Something else to sew!!

Glad to keep you busy :-) )

Martin you are an inspiration! I wish I was only half as talented as you.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Measurements please!!! Big Grin ?: :roll:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I have to buy so much leather... Good job!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Very nice!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
so how do u carry these? on your belt? hehehe along with your sca authorization card and wallet? hehehe jk jk
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Martin,

Why oh why man do you tempt me with your fantastic works.....stop being to talented and gifted... :lol:

Seriously, you never fail to amaze me with your skills, scholarship, and products....

All the best....laudes....
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
Quote:Measurements please!!! Big Grin

Roughly 15 x 11.5 x 5 cm for the piece from Vindonissa, for the one from Vindolanda no exact measurements are given IIRC, but the proportions ar pretty much the same. Even though there are only those 2 intances that I am aware of, the similarity of the design tempts me to think that this may have been something like a standard item for office staff.
Quote:so how do u carry these? on your belt?

At least not on the belt I'd say, as there is no positive proof that any pouch of that sort (rectangular, box-like style) was normally worn on the belt at all, especially by soldiers. Note however that with the original the side panels are missing and that would be were I'd expect a shoulder strap to be attached to, all the more as the surviving leather does not show any sort of attachment of something like a strap etc (I'll probably attach a shoulder strap eventually).