Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comitatenses and praesentalis in the 6th century
Hi

According to Simon MacDowall (Late Roman Cavalryman AD 236-565 and Adrianople AD 378), after Adrianople (378) the mobile comitatenses become more as the static limitanei, and by the 6th century they were finally reduced to static garrisons, while the roman field armies had evolved into large bands of mounted warriors

Graham Sumner in Roman Military Clothing (3) AD 400-640 illustrated a soldiers of the Lanciarii seniores (according to the Notitia Dignitatum, a unit praesentalis) forming part of the army stationed in the Danube at the end of the 6th century, under Maurice's reign. The plate is called Army on the Danube, late 6th century.

Then the praesentalis armies, unlike the comitatenses, remained as a mobile force in the 6th century?
I am very interested in the evolution of the roman army from Gallienus to Heraclius (c. 260-640)
Quote:According to Simon MacDowall (Late Roman Cavalryman AD 236-565 and Adrianople AD 378), after Adrianople (378) the mobile comitatenses become more as the static limitanei, and by the 6th century they were finally reduced to static garrisons, while the roman field armies had evolved into large bands of mounted warriors.
Yes to the former, no to the latter part of that statement. Yes, as in every army, newly created elites tend to be over-used and cease to be an elite, becoming the same as the units they were originally meant to be distinct from. The new Dalmatian equites units of the late 3rd c. were later dispersed over the whole army. The scholae evolved from elite units into a parade unit. And yes, even the elite part of the late Roman army, the comitatenses, became permanently stationed on the borders, where limitanei units had vanbished.
But no, I would not say that field armies became mounted bands. Infantry always played a part.

Quote:Then the praesentalis armies, unlike the comitatenses, remained as a mobile force in the 6th century?
The comitatenses were an army class, whilst the praesental armies werea part of the army organisation. Different things - apples & pears. Some comitatenses units formed part of the preasental armies, and some of 'regular' field armies. Preasental armies became later true 'armies in the presence of the emperor', because Byzantine emperors again went on campaign with their troops.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Many thanks, Robert.

Then, units of comitatenses (many or some) were distributed along the frontiers.

Other units remained stationed in the cities of the interior?
I am very interested in the evolution of the roman army from Gallienus to Heraclius (c. 260-640)
Units of palatini remained as mobile forces?
Quote:Other units remained stationed in the cities of the interior?
That's anybody's guess. Officially, we don't even know absolutely sure where the field army was stationed during the 4th c., let alone the 5th or 6th?
Cities, possibly, or estates around cities? Where do you staion a 1000 or even 5000 men (let alone a field army of 20.000) if you want to be able to gather them at short notice? A city is nice, but where to leave the horses and other animals?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Units of palatini remained as mobile forces?
I don't know. I am not sure what happened to the palatini units.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Limitanei, comitatenses and palatini comitatus (Marco) 3 2,554 08-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Geoffrey