Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My home town Houten is in the news! (Limes)
In the Netherlands, early and even later Roman roads were very much dictated by the materials available. We have no bedrock here, just sand and bog, mining is limited to the area near the German border. Only after Hadrian had quieted things down do we see an influx of building materials from Germany, mostly by river. It would seem the Romans made due with the stuff at hand in most cases. Gravel was deposited by the rivers and could be sieved out with ease, there are also gravel deposits a bit further up the river towards Germany. Do not forget you are dealing with a river delta system here.
Even the castella in the first century were made of the localy available softer woods, oak only being used in quantity at the very end of the first century. Archeon got their reconstruction of the castellum wall knowingly wrong in this respect, they were informed otherwise by the archeologists of Nijmegen University but were pressed for time and soft woods as ash and elm are not commercialy available.
Building was later taken up using brick and crushed tiles, these could be made from river clay (we have a lot of that) but require field-ovens and kilns (and plenty of fire wood) and time (peace) to get the production organised. I do not dispute Robert's finding and put trust in the archeological explaination offered. Yes, this is as Roman a road as you will find along the Limes in these parts.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
OK, I will never again put in question anything like that. I was just suspicious because of the thickness of the gravel layer. I now that any road anywhere, in any time has one of the purposes of avoiding creation of mud (to create firm ground for traffic). If the soil bellow this road is not water resistant (sandy perhaps) than I can understand why the gravel layer is so thin.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Thats OK, Arahne, you are perfectly entitled to question and doubt. He, this is the way science progresses, questioning things stated as true and irrevouchable Big Grin People reading your post and the replies gain knowledge they otherwise wouldn't have seen. No hard feeling here, keep up the questions!!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Here you can find some pictures of the public day last weekend.
[url:3t33p183]http://homepage.mac.com/gerrits2/PhotoAlbum164.html[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Awesome pics Jurjen...!

Legion: TBD
Great pics! I also have one of you - on the front page! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Stefan,

Quote:OK, I will never again put in question anything like that. I was just suspicious because of the thickness of the gravel layer. I now that any road anywhere, in any time has one of the purposes of avoiding creation of mud (to create firm ground for traffic). If the soil bellow this road is not water resistant (sandy perhaps) than I can understand why the gravel layer is so thin.
Your suspicions were correct. Not so much in the sense that it couldn't be Roman (construction-wise, that was possible), but in the sense that it's turned out to be later. In fact it's now seen as 6th to 10th c. Still mighty interesting, but it's not the Limesroad that everyone expected to find, and looked for accordingly... A lesson to us all!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Houten tombstone Anonymous 13 2,385 04-22-2002, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis