Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whereabouts of Late Roman ex-Guttmann helmet?
Thank you very much for this information.

The helmet looks remarkably similar to the helmet worn by the soldiers on the fragments of the Column of Arcadius, now if the helmet is correct, then what about the muscle cuirassess... :whistle:
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Flavius,

Thanks for sharing those links again. Those two images are sadly the only images "out there" and have in fact be used in publishing by Christian MIKS etc. on other late roman helmets. Your camera didn't happen to take some out pics of the helm that day that you didn't post on link did it? :whistle:
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:Thank you very much for this information.

The helmet looks remarkably similar to the helmet worn by the soldiers on the fragments of the Column of Arcadius, now if the helmet is correct, then what about the muscle cuirassess... :whistle:

I find it also looks similar to some of the helmets in the Vergilius Vaticanus. They're all Intercisa-III and Intercisa-IV type helmets.

As for muscle cuirasses, they were pitted on the column to represent mail/scale. The pitting was not due to weather because it is in a regular pattern. There are also other images which show scale armor in the shape of musculata from this era.
I'm sorry Evan but your wrong about the cuirasses on that column. On my recent research trip to Istanbul I was able to examine several framents showing infantry in muscle cuirasses from the Column of Arcadius. They have rims around the neck, arm holes and around the bottom. They are also smooth to the eye and touch. You need to look at my Flickr photos. The helmets are almost identical to this helmet but most have brow guards as well.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I've wondered if some Intercisa-IV helmets may have had brow guard attatchments like the earlier attic helmets. Their cheap construction though is moreso indicative that it was intended to be a low-cost item, so I think its unlikely high-ranking officers would have worn them.
Quote:Marcus--
My guess is the piece is undergoing careful conservation and will be made available for study and/or exhibition quite soon.

According to the only publication for the helmet, the photo in that article seems to indicate it has already been restored considering the condition it is shown in the original photo.
[attachment=7689]coppercoveredhelmet.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christies Late Roman helmet: 1 or 2? Robert Vermaat 96 24,168 09-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Centurion Helmet Connor Augustus 3 1,795 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  New Late Roman Helmet from the Fernpass, Austria caiusbeerquitius 115 29,851 07-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Urselius