Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman artifacts
All are authentic, vroyce (BTW, is that your real name? You must add it to your signature, forum rules... :wink: )! Big Grin

I like specially the Third century belt buckle (First pic) and the 2nd half of Fourth century cruciform brooch (Fifth, sixth and seventh pics)! 8)

Balkanic loot :?:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I puzzled by the last two. The upper one, CIMG3532, is very similar to other "Roman spearheads" that folks have asked me about, with that long narrow tang meeting the blade in a pronounced step or ring. I don't think it's Roman at all, but I can't remember what someone else suggested it might be. Possibly a 19th century drill bit or something? Has anyone seen anything like this in a Roman excavation report?

The last one, 3533, is more likely a weapon, but tanged? Never seen a tanged iron spearhead that I recall, except some 18th siege pikes. So is it a dagger blade of some sort? If it's bronze (can't tell from the photo), yeah, it could be Early Bronze Age, or very likely a fake.

The key ring is very neat! (3521) The "scalpel" could just be a regular knife blade, but it's cool, too. Those and the buckle do strike me as authentic, at least. The crossbow brooch looks a little too nice, possibly, but hard to tell.

Someone on another board was just asking about an ebay antiquities dealer, and it turns out that many of his "unique!" items turn up on sale repeatedly, a few months or a year apart. So he's selling modern repros as originals. Caveat Emptor! But that doesn't mean that everything is a fake, of course!

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
i find this difficult.... it all looks nice but there is a thing about all of the patinae that strikes me as odd....

I also have some "Roman" bronze small stuff here but cant tell wether its original or not.....

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Any ideas what this stuff might be worth?

Vance Royce
Quote:Any ideas what this stuff might be worth?

I don't think that's a proper question to be answered on this forum. Anyone who wants to answer, I'd say best send Vance a PM.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures of Roman artifacts in museum het Valkhof Batavian 2 1,801 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Batavian
  Roman cavalry artifacts Caius Fabius 6 2,082 10-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Last Post: szaboa_22
  Roman artifacts from Crimea M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER 48 9,842 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER