Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions of this lamellar cuirass, please!
I think some fragments of 3th century AD lamellar armour was found at Dura Europos.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Well, Michel Feugere`s "Weapons of the Romans" claim in page 98 (after Robinson 1975) that eastern auxiliaries brought lamellar armour also to the roman army. He refers to the narrow Corbridge lamellars. Also in Michael Simkins badly outdated "The Roman Army From Hadrian to Constantine" (Osprey Men-At-Arms) there is a reconstruction of a roman officer 0f 300-400 AD with a lamellar cuirass. The author says that Romans started to use such armour only after the 2nd century...

Not very convincing proof, to tell you the truth! Anyway in my opinion it could be even possible to have a third century Niederbieber helmet with a lamellar armour, due to the intermingling of the eastern influences in the roman army, at least in the eastern parts of the empire? If I remember correctly, there were even a find from the trajanic period which consisted of Hippika Gymnasia equipment and lamellar armour...

Then again, I might be completely wrong :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
That kind of turkish lamelar (or interlocking scale) armor was used between XII century to XV century. The turks never had a full suits of plate armor but they had heavy cavalry that was strikingly resemblant to the Dura Europos grafiti. Look at the Yushman type of armor used by the turks and also by the russians that borrowed it from them. Combine that with the manica style of arm an leg defenses and a simple conical thurkish helmet with maille curtain and you will have the Dura Europos image.
About those types of armor you can find out more here:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/3505/index.html
@ Virilis
You can obtain something similar with the armor I have posted by lacing the lamelae of the first armor you have posted in reverse position. To make it look more roman-like you can use bronze colored lamelae.
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
Quote:That kind of turkish lamelar (or interlocking scale) armor was used between XII century to XV century.

Thanks for that I thought it looked a little late.

Quote:You can obtain something similar with the armor I have posted by lacing the lamelae of the first armor you have posted in reverse position. To make it look more roman-like you can use bronze colored lamelae.

Yes, but I think Virilis wanted to buy it ready-made. There's almost as much work in re-lacing upside down as there is in making the whole cuirass yourself.
"It is safer and more advantageous to overcome the enemy by planning and generalship than by sheer force"
The Strategikon of Emperor Maurice

Steven Lowe
Australia
Yes. It is better to find a kit with suitable lamelae, including cord and straps and make it yourself. The problem is that, as far as I know, lamelae on the market are covering only the period between X to XV century and are to long or too wide, not resembling the scale apearence of the roman interlocking scale armor. Anyway, here in Romania you can't buy ready made lamelae and I am working to make some for a project of mine. A migration period avar armor for a friend of mine.
Romulus Stoica

Better be a hawk for a day than crow for an year!
Jyrki,
The so-called 'narrow lamellae' from Corbridge belong to the class of Roman locking-scale used all along Third century AD (for me it is interesting the Fourth century date of the Corbridge scales, perhaps I'll try to reconstruct a cuirass for me in a future :wink: ) They appear usually associated to embossed chest-plates, a useful feature to dress and undress a fairly rigid armour.
Call them lamellae (Well, after all they aren't sewn by rows to a fabric backing! :roll: )or scales, the point is that they weren't laced at all but joined using copper-alloy wire staples.

Jef,
The Dura 'lamellar armour' are a pair of non-matching rawhide scale cuisses. They can be called lamellae because they are only laced and not sewn by rows to a fabric backing. Notwithstanding, the tips of the scales/lamellae aren't connected to the following row, like it happens on true lamellar armour (and on locking scale armour but here is no lacing) and, therefore, they resemble more scales than lamellae :?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Does anybody know what period these metal staples were used? Do we have anything definite about when the finds date to (when they start appearing, when they seem to vanish?)

I'm in a (somewhat energetic) discussion about whether they are appropriate to the Romans of the 11th century AD. As far as I can see they seem to be an earlier phenomenon, but I really haven't got all that much information. Any help would be much appreciated.
"It is safer and more advantageous to overcome the enemy by planning and generalship than by sheer force"
The Strategikon of Emperor Maurice

Steven Lowe
Australia
Virilis,

May I ask which lamellar armor you ended up ordering from the vendor ? I can't see any of the pictures you posted, so I don't know which is the more accurate looking Roman version.

Thanks .

~Theo
Jaime
Theo, I ordered a lamellar cuirass like this in the picture (a "Visby" style). There is not a late roman find like this exactly but anyway the lamellars are a bit more narrow than in the other models. I will settle to this because I would like to have a basic simple "overall cuirass" which I can use also with possible goth, byzantine and varangian impressions...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lamellar cuirass & belt... Virilis 19 4,709 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Need a lamellar cuirass! Virilis 13 3,467 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible