Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting books from a museum in Belgrade
http://www.narodnimuzej.org.yu/code/navigate.php?Id=120

Some interesting books on this page. Very strange pectoral plate on the cover of the first book Confusedhock: It's dated to the second half of the third century. I don't know if it's AD or BC...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Not so strange. It is a closing plate for a scale cuirass. Third AD, of course. 8)
It looks beautiful and I'd love to see the book . Probably it will be cheap but impossible to buy... :? Stefan (Arahne)?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Marcus,

Wow! What interesting looking titles! Laudes!

I just tried my librarian fu to try to find out how to order any of them but came up empty so I've dropped a note to David Brown Book Company asking if they might consider carrying any of the titles. Cross your fingers!

Lucianus
_______
L.E. Pearson
L.E. Pearson
Quote:Not so strange. It is a closing plate for a scale cuirass. Third AD, of course. Cool

Thanks Aitor. Do you perhaps have a picture of such a cuiras? What's the function of the plate? Were such plates only used in the 3rd century AD?

I was misguided by the term pectorale. I thought it was a chestplate like the ones worn in the republic :oops:

That's how I stumbled onto this site, I was looking for pictures of original republican pectoral plates Smile

This 3rd century gear is so cool. Over the last week I've developed an extreme liking for it...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jef,
Unfortunately, I haven't got any at hand Sad
Those which I have belong to the 'two pieces' class and the Serbian one belongs to the 'one piece' class.
Anyway, the idea is the same: You have a locking-scale cuirass, where the individual scales are linked not only to the adjacent ones but to the ones at the upper and lower rows too, rendering the garment pretty rigid. Therefore, you need a bigger neck opening to be able to dress and undress it 'comfortably', but you need to be able to close the opening while you're wearing the garment. Those embossed plates are intended to fulfil that function: They work like small 'doors', which can be 'opened' to dress and undress and 'closed' to protect teh chest area.
Hope that this has been understandable without any pic... :oops:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Yes, some very interesting volumes here. Don't appear to be available on Amazon (at least the few I was interested in right now). Wonder if they have looked into distribution in the Western Hemisphere?
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:Yes, some very interesting volumes here. Don't appear to be available on Amazon (at least the few I was interested in right now). Wonder if they have looked into distribution in the Western Hemisphere?

Robert,

I dropped a note to David Brown Book Co. the US distributor for OXbow Books to see if they might be interested. I don't know if they will even respond back but I thought I'd give it a try.

Keep your fingers crossed.
L.E. Pearson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman military equipment from Belgrade-Singidunum mcbishop 1 1,422 01-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Longovicium