Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"War elephants" by J.M.Kistler
I must starting to read this book: the subject is the use of elephant in battle in west and east wars. After i finish read the text i still make a better review.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Just finished the book.

I very different read; many informations on training and behaviour of elephant, the role of mahouts, the historical records of war elephants in west and east. The author context the idea of war elephants how inutile weapons.

Many little and fun minor passage: the Caesar's elephant in Britain, the Caesar's herd for parthic war.

A good book.

"War Elephant" by J.M.Kistler, ed. Praeger Publisher
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Just a note that Bison Books put out a paperback recently, so it is much more affordable now (under $20 on Amazon.com).
John Kistler
writer, businessman, elephant lover

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,915 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus