Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Osprey - Pharsalus 48 BC
[Image: T0021AS.JPG]

[url:uxekj9l2]http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=T0021[/url]

Pharsalus 48 BC
Caesar and Pompey – Clash of the Titans
(Campaign 174)

Author: Si Sheppard
Illustrator: Adam Hook

In 48 BC, the stage was set for the final clash of the two titans of the Roman world and the odds were heavily in Pompey's favour, with 45,000 men against Caesar's 22,000. Having the dice loaded against him, however, seems to have stimulated Caesar's genius for battle. In a brilliant display of generalship he routed his rival's larger army. Pompey's army retreated, with Caesar's army in parallel pursuit, until, their general having escaped, Pompey's men finally surrendered. Simon Sheppard expertly charts the events surrounding the Pharsalus campaign, and the seismic implications of the decisive clash between the two greatest generals of their age.

Contents

Introduction

Chronology

Opposing commanders: The Caesareans & The Republicans

The Legions of the Late Republic

The Campaign: The Rubicon to Brundisium – Brundisium to Dyrrachium – Dyrrachium to Pharsalus

The Battle

Aftermath

The Battlefield Today

Bibliography
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I wonder what it says about the location of the battlefield: north or south of the river? I get the impression that every recent author prefers north, but south appeared better to me.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:I wonder what it says about the location of the battlefield: north or south of the river? I get the impression that every recent author prefers north, but south appeared better to me.

I liked your description of the battle, especially since I knew nothing about it before (apart from what was said in 'Rome-the series' about it).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:(apart from what was said in 'Rome-the series' about it).

"We won. Where's Pompey?"
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I wonder what it says about the location of the battlefield: north or south of the river? I get the impression that every recent author prefers north, but south appeared better to me.
I have just read the book, and to answer your question, North of the river
"The authoritative source which summarized the arguments and resolved the issue to my satisfaction, having toured the site myself, is Morgan, John D., 'Palaepharsalus - The Battle and the Town' in American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 87, No. 1, January 1983, pp.23-54" the author says to support his election
IMO the book is only worth for introductory purposses. It has no real discussion of the facts, basically following Caesar´s narration, adding some notes of Lucan. It is especially striking to me that in a book centered in the battle of Pharsalus there is no discussion on the forces involved, the author just plainly accept Caesar´s figures, although they are notoriously unreliable, especially for the Pompeian side.
OTOH I found the maps on the Greece campaign useful to follow the movement of the armies, what I miss is something similar for the whole war, with a detailed discussion and listing of the forces involved, too many times legions are said to move to one place or another while not a complete list of the forces in the Theater of Operations is made available.
AKA Inaki
I read the book last year, and found it extremely interesting, as a guide for the battlefield, and also for someone who wants to follow in Caesars footsteps! Obviously, it cannot cover all the opposing views on the figures and who was correct who waswrong. But as you say Jona, it is a good intro, and also easily portable for someone on a trip!

I reckon it to be excellent source material for a holiday! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Osprey Campaign - Pharsalus 48 B.C. Uwe Bahr 0 932 06-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr