Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fun topic, national uniforms
lol, apparently the .50 chews up vehicles.....my buddy got hit by friendly fire on base, theres a small access road that leads within range in front of the shooting range they use for heavy weapons, theyre suposed to close it during qualification times. They neglected to that time, and while they were driving through (the .50 goes mile + with killing force), they heard firing in the distance and noticed quickly holes appearing in the canopy of the truck, they all hit the floor, and splinters flew, when they got out nobody was injured, but most of the rear half of the vehicle looked like swiss cheese
aka., John Shook
Luck escape John! Confusedhock:
I believe, the .50 comes with armour piercing, and HE rounds as well?
Wouldn't want to be on the recieving end for sure!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
YES! Tracer, armor-piercing, incendiary, HE-(exploding after penetration!!!)
Usually distributed to Armor units.

John's experience proves that even simple "ball" can do "interesting mechanical phenomena".

Imagine the that ex-Soviet 0.50 with longer case shells packing more gunpowder. (used tobe mounted on Soviet tanks)
Well it not Americans who over do things after all.

Kind regards
To add to its versatility, the American .50 is also used as a sniper round. This was pioneered in Vietnam by tankers who realized that you could mount a night scope on a .50 and fire single rounds at sappers coming in at night. It has tremendous range, very shallow trajectory and its heavy bullet retains killing power far better than the light 7.62 bullet. You don't have to shoot a man twice with the .50. Now there are sniper rifles made to fire the .50. Not bad for a cartridge developed right after WWI.
Pecunia non olet
The 9mm, which I am not a fan of, was developed in about 1896, I think. Based on what I saw in law enforcement, the .40 is the best all round in my opinion. I originally carried a 45 Colt Commander slide on a Para Ord frame with a 13 round capacity through the Police academy. The Sheriff's Dept I wound up with issued .40 Glocks, which I am now used to and can't seem to go back to the 45. I don't understand why the US picked up on the Beretta 9mm, when we could have gone to the Glock 40.

I only saw 45s issued (or appearing by mystery) while being an infantry medic on rare occasion. And ammo was always a problem. By 1970, as I saw it from where I was, the Vietnam War was a a case of the tail wagging the dog. Instead of the support elements trying to supply the combat units, the combat troops were supposed to protect the supply and bloated administrative apparatus which was receiving all the replacement equipment and supplies. If your initial issue was lost or damaged, you had to scrounge. You got a rag-tag look very fast then.

The same for Dust off. Saigon was always complaining we were using way too much fuel, medical supplies, and spare parts. We were racking up too many blade hours and flying too many missions. We were "not adhering to the supply issuance schedule" or some such slogan. We used to "borrow" fuel from the Navy and do midnight raids for medical supplies at the 3rd Surg. But we kept the birds in the air. Not bad for a bunch of "drafted malcontents" as I heard us referred to recently.

I understand things got better after the Nam era.

Ralph Izard
rant, rant, rant...
sorry...
Quote:fun topic, national uniforms

Where's the fun in this topic?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Kinda reaching to find criticism, are we? It all in the eye of the beholder. Guess you had to be there.

Ralph
Reaching? Not at all. I wasn't addressing your post specifically, either. Just wondered where that fun - uniforms stuff had wandered off to...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert you are such a "part pooper" :lol:
Ralf scrounging is the oldest "military trade in the world".
Don't complain because traditions are respected Tongue

And to go back to uniforms:

British Guards were using Panda for their "bearskins".
What do Dutch Guards use?

Kind regards
i LOVE scrounging and private purchase, lol, i recently felt like i needed some breathable boots, so i went to the BX at selfridge and ordered special some all black jungle boots (they make those now) they look very close to regs, close enough to pass in the field, and your feet dont get to smell so much like @$$. Still have to wear the black all leathers for anything but the actual slogging usually, if i go anywhere in the jungle boot styles otherwise im pretty sure ill get chewed out, though i havent tried it.

My buddy who got hit by .50 cal fire was a canadian with the essex and kent scottish BTW, their class As and Bs (whatever they call them) are actually really interesting with the kilt etc., they can actually be fined for wearing underwear with the kilt, as it is not regulation, though ive never heard of it happening.
aka., John Shook
BTW, its the 12.5 degayrtov round that is the old soviet equivalent to the .50, it was originally intended as an antiaircraft round.
aka., John Shook
Quote:BTW, its the 12.5 degayrtov round that is the old soviet equivalent to the .50, it was originally intended as an antiaircraft round.
Yes it was, but Russians have a tradition of "bigger" rounds.
Their 9 mm (not the Macarov) is 9X21 instead of 9x19 in west.
And they still use the good old 0.30 (7.62X54 rather than NATo 7.62X51) in their machineguns.

Kind regards
Hi Stefanos,
Dunno what the Dutch guards use for their bearskins. It's probably PC-fake now. :wink:
[Image: prinsjes.jpg]
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:
Quote:fun topic, national uniforms

Where's the fun in this topic?

[size=150:frnwgy3x]Ah!...so Typical of u! :wink: [/size]

[size=150:frnwgy3x]You Will Be Funny Or Die!....Because we have Death Star! ...We 've Death Star...Death Star! [/size]

[Image: Daddy.jpg]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Thanks Jasper.
Probably you are right about later pieces.

And if I can make a personal remark here:
I do object of wild animals killed just for their fur but I do not understand why people find the farms raising animals for their fur offensive?

Kind regards