Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman legionary hair length
Ah, a topic close to my heart Big Grin

I can certainly recommend a plait for keeping fine curly long hair out of the way and avoiding tearing it out with your mail (one more reason to move up from butted!).

I'm working on a swabian knot for next season. 8)

The possibly C3rd bronze roundel in Southern & Dixon p125 shows Legio XX and II legionaries looking very shaggy.

I swear one of the chaps on the Arch of Constantine has a pony tail below his Pannonian cap.

From coin evidence Constantine started off with a beard, but short hair, Constantine II had collar length wavy locks, Julian II (the Apostate) sported a pagan beard & sometimes a few escaping locks in the 360s.

The average western legionary of the C4th might have had more of the barbarian look to him, than imperial. For example, the half-Vandal Stilicho seems rather resplendant in a beard but I don't know a profile.

In Simon MacDowall's 'Adrianople A.D. 378' he shows the base of the Obelisk of Theodosius I in Istanbul and describes long haired Gothic recruits contrasting with short haired 'Roman' soldiers.

The C4th Cologne beaker shows not quite collar length hair. The Justinian mosaic guards have what might possibly be described as mullets :lol:

The C5th ivory from Villa Sforza, Milan, shows long haired soldiers in Pannonian caps.

There is a nice long haired, bearded cavalryman portrayed in a C6th mosaic from Carthage, often appearing in Late Roman books, perhaps an Alan. Similar figures in 'elephant feet' trousers, possibly Germanic troops, are carved in the Cathedra of Maximianus.

Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
[Image: givecaesar.jpg]

Hehehehehe

Now I was looking for the Long haired Roman legionary from the same episode, however i couldnt find it online...

you know... the one laying picking his teeth in his hammock in the watch tower shouting: Ave guys... theres another one of those nutters!
every time there is another villager bringing a load of Menhirs over since there seems to be a demand for it... :wink: :wink: :wink:

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Hahaha work in film so appliques are possible!!

anyway you could do spartan re-enactment for sure!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Hehehehe no indeed not....

Buty I think with your hairdo and a large enough helmet you could as well be a legionary, opr auxiliary horseman!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Length of late roman mail Sisyphus 1 916 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Later Roman spear length Nicholas Gaukroger 29 14,094 12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio