Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I\'m working on a short film with a Roman soldier
The film takes place on a modern Seattle street, so the Roman soldier is actually a regular modern person in Roman soldier costume -- presumably a re-enactor. The two main characters are a youngish married couple, both nuts about movies. "Jason" is the sort of movie geek who gets a thrill out of catching movie-making mistakes -- things like reflections of the camera in windows, drinking glasses with drinks that change quantity between cuts without being sipped or refilled, and (of special interest on this site) factual errors. "Amy" is more interested in just enjoying the movie, but still enjoys catching a mistake he misses.

When they see the "Roman soldier" on the street, she admires its historical detail. In reply, he comments on the divergences from historical correctness. Here's a draft of the dialogue, so early I haven't even typed it into the actual screenplay draft:

__________AMY
Nice costume. Way better than the ones in Gladiator.
__________JASON
His spear is wrong. Should be forge-black, not shiny.
__________AMY
Still better than Gladiator.
__________JASON
That's not saying much.
__________AMY
True. But he's even wearing the sword right.
[Cut to next scene.]

That's just one small scene in a longer short-film, but it's the only one that depends on the expertise I can find here. So, my questions for those who really know how to properly rip apart Hollywood Roman blunders:

1. Is Gladiator the best example of a movie to pick on as one that messes up the costuming? When I was ripping it to pieces the worst thing I saw wrong was really gross temporal aliasing in the computer graphics of the arena. (Way off topic: Temporal aliasing means jagged pixels that wobble across the screen because of the way the computer graphics software converts its three-dimensional model into a two-dimensional image.) I didn't know enough about Roman details to properly rip on the costuming. Was it just ordinary bad, or Really Really Bad?

If Gladiator was just ordinary bad, can anyone suggest a good substitute that's Really Really Bad? The advantage of Gladiator, for purposes of my script, is that it's very well known. Even if the 1907 version of Ben-Hur was the most awful example of Roman costuming in film history, it's no good because almost no one has seen it. I haven't seen it, almost no one in my film's audience will even know it exists, and if my "Jason" character were a real person he probably wouldn't have seen it either. So if I'm to replace Gladiator with another movie title that screws up its Roman costumes, it should be a title that a lot of people will recognize.

2. The words "he's even wearing the sword right" are just an example for now, because I just don't know what sort of details Hollywood routinely fouls up. The detail should be something that both my short film characters could see and that the film audience can see. The characters will have several seconds to look at him from two or three meters away, then a brief peek as they walk past him as close as one meter.

The audience will see the character in a shot from the characters' points of view. He'll be a part of a crowd, but he'll stand out because he's the only one dressed like a Roman soldier. It's possible that he'll get a close-up shot that looks him over head to toe, but that depends on the director, the editor, and how the timing of the scene plays out. Although the characters will be looking him over, it seems more likely that he won't get that sort of close-up shot, or that the shot will end up in the DVD's "Deleted Scenes" section.

3. I don't mean to limit commentary to the selection of movie to pick on or the part of the costume they'd admire for being surprisingly correct. If anyone wants to suggest something else for the scene, I welcome it.
thread moved to Re-Enactment & Reconstruction
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Hi Steve,

That sound like a nice project - tell us more?
Answers to your questions:

Quote: 1. Is Gladiator the best example of a movie to pick on as one that messes up the costuming? When I was ripping it to pieces the worst thing I saw wrong was really gross temporal aliasing in the computer graphics of the arena. (Way off topic: Temporal aliasing means jagged pixels that wobble across the screen because of the way the computer graphics software converts its three-dimensional model into a two-dimensional image.) I didn't know enough about Roman details to properly rip on the costuming. Was it just ordinary bad, or Really Really Bad?
Well - it depends on what you expect. Some third-rate movie or TV-series would make me groan, say OMG and get on with my watching. A Discovery documentary would get a harsher verdict because they reach so many people. A BBC documentary would receive a scathing verdict from me because they should have known better with all their experience and contacts. See e.g. the comments on this forum about 'Rome - the series'.

'Gladiator' was a big, BIG Hollywood production that was a remake of an earlier movie (Fall of the Roman Empire) that actually landed this forum (as well as many re-enactment groups) many new members. So we're grateful. But some details were very bad, while (with just a teeny weeny more research and money) that could have been much better. Gladiator lacked the proper attention for historical detail, whereas we have seen from 'Alexander' how good a movie can get it right when that attention exists.
In my opinion, Gladiator was not that 'bad', but I fear 'Gladiator II'will be. Cry

Quote:If Gladiator was just ordinary bad, can anyone suggest a good substitute that's Really Really Bad? The advantage of Gladiator, for purposes of my script, is that it's very well known. Even if the 1907 version of Ben-Hur was the most awful example of Roman costuming in film history, it's no good because almost no one has seen it. I haven't seen it, almost no one in my film's audience will even know it exists, and if my "Jason" character were a real person he probably wouldn't have seen it either. So if I'm to replace Gladiator with another movie title that screws up its Roman costumes, it should be a title that a lot of people will recognize.

'King Arthur' was really really bad. 'Last Legion' will be worse. :evil: Maybe your script won't be produced before Glad II hits the silver screen. In that case, i fear you'll get to use that one..

Quote:2. The words "he's even wearing the sword right" are just an example for how, because I just don't know what sort of details Hollywood routinely fouls up. The detail should be something that both my short film characters could see and that the film audience can see. The characters will have several seconds to look at him from two or three meters away, then a brief peek as they walk past him as close as one meter.
Hollywood foulups (where to begin):
leather armour (argh!!)
metal shields or enormous metal shield rims
wrong helmets (Gladiator had fantasy helmets and even medieval ones lying around)
guys fighting with two swords (almost every movie seems to have that these days)
whole populations dressed in shades of brown
invulnerable heroes while the enemy falls in droves (Stormtrooper Syndrome)

Quote:The audience will see the character in a shot from the characters' points of view. He'll beas part of a crowd, but he'll stand out because he's the only one dressed like a Roman soldier. It's possible that he'll get a close-up shot that looks him over head to toe, but that depends on the director, the editor, and how the timing of the scene plays out. Although the characters will be looking him over, it seems more likely that he won't get that sort of close-up shot, or that the shot will end up in the DVD's "Deleted Scenes" section.
Best use an officer to attreact even more attention - the 'bling bling' efect.

Quote:3. I don't mean to limit commentary to the selection of movie to pick on or the part of the costume they'd admire for being surprisingly correct. If anyone wants to suggest something else for the scene, I welcome it.
Two Romans? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:That sound like a nice project - tell us more?
It's a comedy. The two main characters -- movie nuts, as I mentioned -- are trying to walk from one movie theater to another, in time for a movie at the second theater. They start out with plenty of time, but various encounters slow them down to the point that they are risk of missing the second movie; the theater doesn't allow people to enter late.

Quote:
Steve Schonberger:qd7i4ywn Wrote:1. Is Gladiator the best example of a movie to pick on as one that messes up the costuming? ... Was it just ordinary bad, or Really Really Bad?
Well - it depends on what you expect. Some third-rate movie or TV-series would make me groan, say OMG and get on with my watching. A Discovery documentary would get a harsher verdict because they reach so many people. A BBC documentary would receive a scathing verdict from me because they should have known better with all their experience and contacts. See e.g. the comments on this forum about 'Rome - the series'.
That makes sense. One sets expectations on the basis of the ambition, budget, and purpose of the project. Documentaries get a tougher standard than fiction based on fact, which in turn get a tougher standard than fantasy fiction.

Quote:'Gladiator' was a big, BIG Hollywood production that was a remake of an earlier movie (Fall of the Roman Empire) that actually landed this forum (as well as many re-enactment groups) many new members. So we're grateful. But some details were very bad, while (with just a teeny weeny more research and money) that could have been much better. Gladiator lacked the proper attention for historical detail, whereas we have seen from 'Alexander' how good a movie can get it right when that attention exists.
In my opinion, Gladiator was not that 'bad', but I fear 'Gladiator II' will be. Cry
In that case, it seems like a very good fit for the dialogue in question. It had the budget to do everything right, was marketed as sensitive to history, and still got a fair number of things wrong. (Its worst shortcoming, in my opinion, was that the story wasn't nearly as interesting or dramatic as a lot of stories they could have drawn directly from history. But that's not the sort of complaint we're discussing.)

Anyone with an eye for detail, awareness of the sorts of historical details they messed up, and a fondness for catching mistakes could find fault with it. But at the same time it's good enough that "Way better than the ones in Gladiator" is clear praise; "Way better than King Arthur" might sound like sarcastic praise.

In the case of Alexander, movie fans still have plenty to complain about, or so I understand from reviews. But those complaints are about tiresome storytelling. Getting the equipment right would be great if it were meant as a documentary about the equipment, but since the primary goal of the movie was to tell an entertaining story of Alexander the eye for detail goes to waste. On the other hand, if it's that good in the details maybe I should take a look at it with that in mind.

Quote:'King Arthur' was really really bad. 'Last Legion' will be worse. :evil: Maybe your script won't be produced before Glad II hits the silver screen. In that case, i fear you'll get to use that one.
I didn't think enough people saw King Arthur for it to be sufficiently familiar as an object of scorn. But looking it up, I was surprised to find that it grossed around $52M in the US and $203M worldwide, so more people saw it than I had expected.

My hope is to find a crew fairly soon, although Seattle weather may prevent that.

I have doubts that Gladiator 2 will be made at all, so if I set myself in a race against it I should have little trouble winning. (Given the Roman setting, it seems it should be Gladiator II, but apparently the proposed title uses an Arabic numeral.)

I'm not surprised that expectations for The Last Legion are low. It had the title The Enchanted Sword for a while, which suggests a tone closer to fantasy than history -- and titles are easier to change than prop details.

Quote:Hollywood foul-ups (where to begin):
leather armour (argh!!)
metal shields or enormous metal shield rims
wrong helmets (Gladiator had fantasy helmets and even medieval ones lying around)
guys fighting with two swords (almost every movie seems to have that these days)
whole populations dressed in shades of brown
invulnerable heroes while the enemy falls in droves (Stormtrooper Syndrome)
Good examples. I'm not sure if any of them quite fit the context I'm looking for, which is "He even [got some often messed up detail] right."

One thing that might fit would be for her to say, "But it's nice to see an accurate Roman helmet."

Quote:
Steve Schonberger:qd7i4ywn Wrote:The audience will see the character in a shot from the characters' points of view. He'll be a part of a crowd, but he'll stand out because he's the only one dressed like a Roman soldier. ...
Best use an officer to attract even more attention - the 'bling bling' effect.
Good point. I already had it in mind to include a crest, which is one of the flashier parts of an officer costume.

Quote:
Steve Schonberger:qd7i4ywn Wrote:... If anyone wants to suggest something else for the scene, I welcome it.
Two Romans? Big Grin
That would actually improve the scene, since they could then talk to each other. But I'm not sure I could scrounge up another one on the exact shooting day, whenever that ends up being. Even assembling the gear for one Roman has turned into a big project.
Quote: In the case of Alexander, movie fans still have plenty to complain about, or so I understand from reviews. But those complaints are about tiresome storytelling.
Yes. A combinmation of the costume details from 'Alexander' with the story from 'Gladiator' would have made an awesome movie. Even if they distorted history... Big Grin

Quote:
Steve Schonberger:1qfzo6g1 Wrote:... If anyone wants to suggest something else for the scene, I welcome it.
Two Romans? Big Grin
That would actually improve the scene, since they could then talk to each other. But I'm not sure I could scrounge up another one on the exact shooting day, whenever that ends up being. Even assembling the gear for one Roman has turned into a big project.[/quote]
I'm sure that if your Romans are only shot from afar and need not act at all, you'll have no trouble recruiting a well-equipped Roman from one of the local groups, or even several of them?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Working on creating Roman Calcei need input Palmerius2002 9 3,224 07-22-2013, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Palmerius2002
  working on: 3rd BC roman kit Chuck Russell 30 7,437 06-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Last Post: barcid