Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
" Newbie " Question
New to RAT ... I have basic knowledge & understanding of the Roman Empire & its Army, but would like to go more in depth ...

Any suggestions on where I might begin My Quest for further Knowledge that would help me to become more educated & to help with My starting re-enacting ... ??? ... Print, Websites, Video. etc ...

Thanks ...
Travis Tribe
1.) Get Bishop & Coulston Roman Military Equipment 2006, ISBN 1842171593. Get it any way you can. :!:

2.) There are a number of books on the Roman Army, but Archeology and History are taught by several different schools of thought. Europeans have a monopoly on original source and Americans have to play second string to opinion when it comes to "hands on" on actual sites and artifacts. Arrow ( I am not trying to start any argument ... its the plain logistical truth.) 8) This may not even be a conscious or logical process. The American "school" of archaeological theory (post-processualism) is descended from the "Systems Theory" approach, so you will probably be more comfortable with Le Bohec The Imperial Roman Army 1989, (eng. trls. 1986) ISBN 0-7818-0259-8. It does not address equipment well as well as the rest of the Army system. Others will disagree with me, or Le Bohec, or both, and will suggest a number of respected sources. (see below).

3.) If you get six historians and/or archaeologist in the same room you will nine different opinions. :twisted: There are no hard and fast answers to many simple questions. This often starts debates (professional term for arguments) among almost everyone, almost all of the time. This is frustrating for the newcomer who is bewildered because he cant get a straight answer to " What helmet is the best and where do I get one? Cheap." Confusedhock: But the debate is half the fun. :o

4.) Read the threads here. Read a lot of threads. :!: Most questions are answered somewhere around here. But someone will help you, if you ask. RAT is usually quite friendly to new comers, although there is the expected bickering that will occur as with any academic subject. It is much less here than at the University I went to. I got out of archeology to be a cop because it was a less stressful environment.

5.) Do not ask about tunic colors... just dont... take my word for it. Read the threads. Big Grin

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
who rarely uses emoticons
www.larp.com/legioxx

all you need to know to start reenacting
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Thank you ... I have begun to read the threads ... So Many, I tend to stray from My original search topic ... But, I Am Learning ... Patience is not one of My Stronger Virtues, so I Am/was seeking a Shorter Route ... \\

Thanks for the replies ... I Am Off to a Good Start ... & Am sure to have many more questions ( like the one I will Post after writing this reply ) ...
Travis Tribe
Hey Travis, some good basic info is to grab some smaller Osprey books. They tend to be shorter reads but have great starter information. There are quite a few Roman themed titles as well.

Legion: TBD
Peter Connolly's Greece and Rome At War

And

Adrian Goldsworthy's The Complete Roman Army

are very good general references that will cover a huge swath of information, and will lead you to many more detailed resources and books.

There are of course dozens more excellent books, so check sites like Leg XX's and others, they'll all cross-reference and cite all of these books.

Also, Osprey's "Roman Military Clothing" I - III by Graham Sumner (who's on the board here too! *waving to Graham*) are great for the inevitable tunic questions that will come up, as well as Roman clothing in general.

As Magnus said, the Osprey books are great for quick rference and just fun books anyway. I think getting a hold of the Compilation books, like the Essential Histories series, "Rome At War: Casesar and His Legacy" is a combination of 3-4 other Osprey publications, all in one nice book.

And keep in mind, as with "Greece and Rome at War", some of the information nowadays could be considered "old" information, as we're constantly finding new information on all stuff, and as I said, it's a great reference either way.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)