sierra leone
angola
congo
el salvador
somalia
panama
namibia

can anyone think of anywhere else?
i think its an interesting topic, so if youve heard of something please name the country they were used in, and, if possible by whom they were employed.
aka., John Shook
What's the point of this topic? Not that I'm negative about the topic by itself (I could see a nice topic about ancient mercenaries like Greeks in Egypt, Celts in Turkey, Goths and Vandals in Syria, etc.) , but we won't discuss modern politics here...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
this is off topic, in off topic we have in the past discussed all periods of history, 1991 is the end date, and is not modern by any stretch. the 20th century and the hired combatants within it is a perfectly relevant history topic.
aka., John Shook
BTW, it has nothign to do with politics, merely interesting historical instances in which nations have hired troops from other parts of the world
aka., John Shook
In modern historical research try for the term "volunteers".
The term "mercenary" is used as an accusation.
...info provided for historical research purposes only.

Robert I do apreciate your reservations.

Kind regards
John,

Military Contractor is currently being used also, and security contractor.

These are the terms I have been hearing lately also.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
thanks, i find that among the 'volunteers' or 'security professionals' some do no hesitate to call themselves mercenaries, this is usually in employment of 3rd world countries or factions though, such as caranza's hired guards in columbia, to which i have some contact now, but have changed drastically since c. 1980s, they have become mostly less aggresive i would say.
anyway, back on the topic, remember try to keep it before 1991.
aka., John Shook
it is, however, very interesting to note that during the time period in question the 'soldiers for hire' often didnt fit exactly what we might consider 'mercenary', often times they did take sides with a certain group even if another offered more money because of political or idealogical issues etc.
aka., John Shook
Our Nepalese friends ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Or "the very tough school" that guarantees that you will learn french? Smile

Well after 1980 there was a tendency to enlist "hired help" as regular members of any "recognized-official" armed force so unless you have solid evidence of "non-nationals" serving its hard to prove the existence of "foreigners".
..info provided for historical research purposes only.

Kind regards

P.S. I believe you should have included the Balkans in the list of locations
i was wondering about the balkans, but couldnt find anything solid, can you give me any specifics on that? i thought it was more after 1991 in former yugoslavia that it wouldve been prevalent, but im not sure. i would tell lots more about modern security contractors, but i want to keep it 1991 or before just to keep modern politics out.
aka., John Shook
Quote:i was wondering about the balkans, but couldnt find anything solid, can you give me any specifics on that? i thought it was more after 1991 in former yugoslavia that it wouldve been prevalent, but im not sure. i would tell lots more about modern security contractors, but i want to keep it 1991 or before just to keep modern politics out.

Hi John. We think 1991 is modern, and so is the whole 20th century. But the discussion is going well, so..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
The Germans raised volunteer SS divisions in the Balkans from the Muslim population.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I would not call that mercenaries.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Balcans WW2:
There were more SS foreighn contignents than most people care to investigate and up to now it was found convenient to minimaze numbers.
The term "traitors" is usually given.
In Balcans the Bosnian Muslims are more discussed but all nationalites contributed. Almost all Balacan parmilitary antipartisan formations were assembled into SS battle goups and most of them were not properly documented and were wiped out in the last battles arround Vienna

Balcans 1991:
Their friends called them "enthousiastic brothers in arms".
The opposing side "mercenary killers"

All sides claim that religious institutions on both sides paid the opposing sides salaries. All acusations are "partly true" for all sides

A British reporters book talked about his compatriots involved.
A book was written also by Greek participant .
Please have patience till I get the references. I write this in an i-net cafe.

Though in my country it was thought that only one side was popular there were actully "volonteers" on both sides!
Nobody want to investigate rumors for a "mini civil war" and I do not blame them.

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20th Century Reenactors Primvs Pavlvs 0 711 11-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs