Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal (2006)
Anyone seen it here? One of those euro bbc and other euro channel cooperation with the national geographic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0766213/

I was shocked that this almost documentary style movie (90min runtime) went into so many equipment pains to portray the romans and the carthaginians with what seems very correct period dress.

Romans come with Velites, Hastiati, Princeps and Triarii. The equipment seems taken straight out of an Osprey booklet.
Same thing with the Iberian and gaulish troops which are also photocopies from the Osprey pictures.
Battle scenes are also VERY decent with pilum showers, Falcatas, etc...

A MUST see
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Louis Rawlings of Cardiff University, though uncredited, was involved in the pre-production consultancy phase and is probably one of the reasons for some of the authenticity. He's doing some work on Carthaginian warfare at the moment so watch out for publications in the next couple of years.
I haven't seen this docu-drama yet Cry

Is it available on DVD somewhere?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:A MUST see
Yes! I saw it and I liked it very much.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I was VERY surprised at seeing those masses of Montefortinos.....

If you take into account how this movie/documentary was surely many many times cheaper than HBO´s Rome one can just wonder what would have come out of it if a bit more money would have been spend in better consulting. A truly movie to take an example of.

Hopefully all those movie props will be kept for furture productions and reeplace all that old gear we see again and again.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
Quote:I haven't seen this docu-drama yet

Euh I think I have seen something on tv about this some weeks ago. BBC or was it on our VRT I don't remember. But I could not keep me interested so I turned it off.
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:Euh I think I have seen something on tv about this some weeks ago. BBC or was it on our VRT I don't remember. But I could not keep me interested so I turned it off.

Fy! If this was the one we're referring to, you missed out on a good docu-drama.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Avete Ebusitanus and omnes,

I saw it on German T.V and referred about it already some time ago - may-be You'll find some interesting trailers and photos in this topic:

link from old RAT

and like you I was rather fascinated of the equipment details and references to the Osprey pictures.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Not bad at all, and very fascinating velites!
:lol:

[Image: 13hi0.th.jpg]
Quote:
Quote:I haven't seen this docu-drama yet

Euh I think I have seen something on tv about this some weeks ago. BBC or was it on our VRT I don't remember. But I could not keep me interested so I turned it off.

I don't think it was that one Geert. Uwe posted about several upcoming programs about Hannibal indeed. I think the one on VRT was not the one they were discussing. That one was shown on BBC a day or so later but I missed it...

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Oooohhh than there is another one? Hmmm I have to look it up for sure. Confusedhock:
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Just watched the film. It was surprisingly good, so-and-so montefortino type helmets on roman soldiers, falcatas and those strange sinew-based helmets on iberians (which looked surprisingly good). Also Hannibal`s celtic allies had reasonable accurate equipment, bravo Big Grin !

The casting was good, Hannibal and his retinue even LOOKED LIKE north-africans. The battle-scenes were okay and NOT A ONE ROMANCE spoiling the spectacle! Recommended, I was surprisingly pleased Confusedhock: !!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hannibal (2006) Theodosius the Great 1 973 02-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus