Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reenacting 9AD
Quote:Yep, I really liked the way Peronis had his set up with the frogs, but I think the leather cross strap is going to be the way I go.

Any pictures of the leather cross strap? Can't visualize what you are talking about.
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
I am guessing you would need to be careful - too much polishing could be a problem, eventualy removing some of the silvering?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:I am guessing you would need to be careful - too much polishing could be a problem, eventualy removing some of the silvering?
Not at all, as you're only repeating the process of silvering with the solution anyway and adding more silver on top. It really is win-win. The silver polishing cloths specifically made for that purpose also don't degrade the silvered surface.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
AAhh - guess my granny was using the wrong stuff then. Her silver plated tea set barely had any silver left on it. Unless of course we are talking about two entirely different techniques?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Any pictures of the leather cross strap? Can't visualize what you are talking about.

Look on Leg XX Website - http://www.larp.com/legioxx/scloop.jpg
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
The first is what I use to turn brass to silvered brass:
Silver solution

And this to clean it with afterwards:
Silver cleaning cloth
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Tarbicus - what a shame Granny passed away Sad

This stuff looks really easy to use. Is this what Peronis used or is that a trade secret?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Look on Leg XX Website - http://www.larp.com/legioxx/scloop.jpg

Got it, thanks!

In opinion which is better: hanging it from the frogs or having the leather straps?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Quote:Is this what Peronis used or is that a trade secret?
If I told you he might have to kill me. Of course, you could always go to the Search function and fish around with his name in the Username box :wink: :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I am guessing you would need to be careful - too much polishing could be a problem, eventualy removing some of the silvering?

My belt components were professionally electroplated in silver, not by using the silvering solution. They have a nice thick plating!

But, as Jim posted earlier, if they do happen to get a scratch, then the silver plating solution works perfectly to restore the finish.

DON'T use silvo or any such cleaners on plated silver, as it will strip off the plating in seconds! Use the silver polishing cloths as Jim posted. Alternatively, a toothbrush on its own works just as well to remove tarnish and just buff with a soft cloth.

Going back to topic..

I shall be getting republican (Castillejo) and early Augustan belt components from Nodge very soon!

Here's the Castillejo plates in bronze with the brass backing..
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... llejo2.jpg

There will be a buckle and decorated hinge-tag (from Spanish examples)to go with them too! Watch this space.
Those plates look great! What is their dating? What are the dimensions?
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
And what's their price?
:wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Got it, thanks!

In opinion which is better: hanging it from the frogs or having the leather straps?

Well, I like the idea of the frogs, but there does not seem to be much strong evidence to suggest that this was the method employed. The straps do seem to be practical and they also seem to be able to closely approximate the way a galdius hangs fom a belt as seen in stelae and the like. But I am sure others would disagree. Check out pictures of Peronis to see the frog method in action!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Wouldn't the frogs make the rather heavier-than-a-pugio gladius flop around a LOT when running or even moving quickly? That's the secondary reason I wouldn't have considered them a good option (apart from not having seen any evidence of them)
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Basically, it means you can be fairly imaginative, and not get shot out of the woods for being incorrect! Big Grin wink:

But on the major downside, you run the risk of getting it completely wrong like the Robinson Newstead. You might end up with an expensive fantasy piece when new artifacts are found...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!