Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
coloured spearhead
Has anybody seen a spearhead like this?

Found in Simpelveld/Heerlen, NL.

[img][Image: imgp3376oo7.th.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: imgp3377jd5.th.jpg][/img]
It's celtic? The "paint" it's an enamel? Celts usually enamels his iron helmets, sword iron sheaths, shields, etc.
No, it's clearly roman, dated to the 2nd century.

Here is more information (in dutch):
http://www.racm.nl/content/xml_racm%5Cp ... .asp?toc=-
Cool! Thanks for the pics.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
maybee germanic effects? in the 2nd century could be.
Martin Müllauer

http://www.gentes-danubii.at/
Impressionant found. Have pictures of the chair restaured?
Here is the chair:
http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/4006/imgp3381xx8.jpg
Sorry there was bad light in the museum. Sad

Back to the spear: According to the museum it was used for hunting or "cavalry sports".
The grave was near to some villae rusticae, it seems to belong to a noble, wealthy man.
A really beautiful folding stool! Big Grin
Was any rest of the leather preserved as rust impressions?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
The cross piece is reportedly used on spears for hunting wild boars. It stops the spear from simply piercing all the way through the animal, or so I'm told. I never want to have to face a charging boar with only a spear. I'd highly prefer something that goes "BANG" really loud, and sends a small piece of lead downrange, and that from off the ground, thanks. Their tusks are not just for show.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The cross piece is reportedly used on spears for hunting wild boars. It stops the spear from simply piercing all the way through the animal, or so I'm told. I never want to have to face a charging boar with only a spear. I'd highly prefer something that goes "BANG" really loud, and sends a small piece of lead downrange, and that from off the ground, thanks. Their tusks are not just for show.

Shouldnt that say a large piece of lead and copper? :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Oh, maybe so, around .45 cal should do the trick. Or if in Europe, 10-12mm, I reckon.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have a slovenian friend who considers it a sign of manhood to face a wild boar with a spear! Confusedhock: Mind you, he is made from a different mold from anyone I have ever met! 8)

Regards
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Maybe we should reconsider those spears from emperors insignia topic. Such winged spears are used for stopping the blade of running through the body (I remember few finds from VIII century - so called carolingian spears), but this cross positioned stick is rather strange.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Possibly also to drive it home? With your foot! Only in the right circumstances obviously?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Possibly also to drive it home? With your foot!

a very strange large plough or apparatus to put holes in the ground to plant crops perhaps? made of an old spear?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.