Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adrian Goldsworhty\'s "CAESAR"
Hello, if this post already exists somewhere, I apologise Jasper!

I am at the moment, EXACTLY half way through this book, and find it a great read!

The only glaring mistake I can find, is the constant referal of Pompay as Caesars fatherin law, when actually, it was vis-a-versa! Nit picking I'm sure, as I find his treatment of history very readable and engrossing, and
in depth(for me any way) Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
[quote="Gaius Marcus":3kjxfajh]The only glaring mistake I can find, is the constant referal of Pompay as Caesars fatherin law, when actually, it was vis-a-versa! Nit picking I'm sure, as I find his treatment of history very readable and engrossing, and
in depth(for me any way) Smile ? )
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Well I finished it a couple of days ago.
Very impressed. Although I feel there is nothing spectacularly new (read Meirer's Ceasar and almost all books of Goldsworthy) the author does have an exciting way of writing with plenty of subtle comments and flashes of psychology (in the good sense of the word). Of course I enjoyed the military aspects but even the political, legal and religious ones. I'll re-read this book again in a couple of years.
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
The author was on NPR's show "On Point" a few days ago for an hour-long interview concerning the book Caesar in brief and general Roman history in specific (if that made sense :lol: ). Here's a link to hear the entire interview:
http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2006/ ... b_main.asp

Very good overall.
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Thanks Saul! Cannot access the link from work, but will when I get home!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Interesting indeed.
How many pages has this book? Are there any pictures or maps in it?
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adrian Goldsworthy and Caesar Q Rutilius 6 1,935 08-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Simon N Scarrow
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,915 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus