Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on Dacian-Roman post period
Questions of Dacian-Roman post period:

I was told to start "small" so what can people tell me about Dacian warfare. The question underneath are more specific in nature, but they are just as a reminder where my main interests lie.

Let's start small, then go big, with these question here, shall we? Tongue

1. Would this warrant that the Dacian's started to revert to their own culture, tradition after losing the backs of the Roman.

2. At the end of the Dacian war, 101-106, and the beginning of the roman imperialism (is that the right word) did the Dacians become romanized, hellenized, if so, did it have an effect on the designs of their weapons?

3. Once the Roman Empire Lucius Domitius had pullen out of Dacia, finding that the north bank of the Danube to be too hard to defend, did the Dacian's revert to their old cultures, and traditions, and therefore, did it affect their designs of weapons?

4. Since the Roman province Dacian Trajana created after the Dacian Wars were historically then comprised of modern Banat, Oltenia, and Transylvannia, did the modern region of Multenia be romanzised at all? And again, did any of this have an effect of the designs of the weapons?

5. And after the loss of Dacia, the roman province of Dacian Aurelianas, which was inside former Moesia, was that at all in historical Dacia, or modern Multenia?

Look forward to hearing from you all! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Hope that this was what you was asking for, Barrett! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I think it is. He informed me of his mistake.. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, Robert,
I've seen your posts to the other thread a little bit too late... :oops:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Greetings,

Thankyou aitor iriarte and Vortigern Studies. Now, hopefully, their will be people bringing on the discussion!!! :twisted: Cheers! Look forward to talking to anyone who can help me!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
One important aspect of romanization of Dacia is that romanian language derived from latin.
Interesting monography on Dacian fortifications in the period of Dacian wars - Alexandre Simon Stefan " Les guerres Dacique de Domitien et de Trajan" Rome 2005.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Greetings,

Arahne:

You are very true about that: Is their anyway that I get my hands on this monongraphy? Thankyou very much, and I look forward to hearing more from you, and hopefully more discussion! :twisted:

Barett Michael Hiebert
Welcome to RAT Barrett! Just don't go bonking any geese with a boken ok?

Too bad you aren't doing anything 100 years earlier. I reenact one of the Trajanic legions that went to Dacia and stirred up some trouble. :wink:

Legion: TBD
Greetings,

Magnus:

Quote:Welcome to RAT Barrett! Just don't go bonking any geese with a boken ok?

You read that at SFI, hehe, well...it was a foolish act, one as you read got me into some trouble.

Well, I actually decided that I would either do a time period in which we fought the Roman's under Trajan or after they had left. (if I had to narrow it down) Smile Cheers! Look forward to talking to you!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
So many eras and cultures to pick from eh? Well once you do one, you can always do another. I keep meaning to do a spartan or possibly an auxiliary archer....

Legion: TBD
Greetings,

Magnus:

Quote:So many eras and cultures to pick from eh? Well once you do one, you can always do another. I keep meaning to do a spartan or possibly an auxiliary archer....

Well truthfully right now, and throughout life, I will probably won't have enough time to develop and research other "persona's" per say, re-enact different warrior cultures from different time periods. I barely have any money right now to invest in such an endeavour (buying authentic gear) since I owe my church 800 dollars, and at least 1000 (she estimates 3000)to my mom for breaking stuff in the house. She say's that I don't have to pay her, but I feel obligated to her; she is my mother after all, and has really done so much for me. I guess your past does run with you, and you even at my age (17) are responsible for your actions, very responsible. My goal is to be a professional blacksmith and I've thought long and hard about it. I've given up alot of my social life to read books, and ask questions, because I understand that you have to get a head start.

On the other hand, I can't move onto another area of expertise because I feel like I have to fully finish it, complete it, before I move on. And due to my background, being adopted and all, I really want to get to my roots, so I'm mainly interested in the ancestor's of geographical birth, Romania.

And then of the head; for me as a person my opinion's of what I value has to be integrated in the chosen time period as well. I am a christian and trying to live a christian life, so I want to exemplify those qualities as best as I can in the time period, culture that I re-enact. That's why I picked 200AD-300AD (if that is such a time period that christianity started to flow to Eastern Europe) I have also chosen this time, since I believe that they were no opinions of divergent types of religions (Arian started up in the early 4th century AD) other than what the curch's were later teaching, since their are different beliefs, here or their.

Just wanted to tell this, to tell my story. I wish you the best of luck on your future re-enactment's, and that if you could help me any further on my post, then that would be wonderful! Big Grin lol:

Hope you have a good night! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Hey Barrett,

I'm also 17 and my mother is from Romania.

First off man, don't give up your social life! You should be driving around with your buds and just barely escaping trouble like all the other 17 year olds out there. Blacksmithing isn't gonna make you much money, and if no one is looking for a blacksmith, you're SOL unless you have a backup trade. (I don't even think you'd get enough to live off of :? ) Look into your local community college, I'm sure they have some trades you could get an AA degree in and live off of that.

Good luck with everything, and god darnet, don't give up your social life to study! Do an after school sport, or, if you're in America, go down to the USMC recruiting office and ask if you can work out with the pullees. Or make your own excerisece program. Exercise is alot of fun if you have some motavation, I'd be happy to help you out with your program or provide some motivation if you'd like.

PM me if you want to discuss things.
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Greetings,

Poftium:

It's very cool that your mother is from Romania!

Well...it's not that I don't have a social life. I have lot's of friends at school, but almost all of them are acquaitances. My one good friend, I find that we are pulling apart, but, meh, he's trying to *nail* girl's and is going from one to another, which is really quite stueped in my opinion. As he should wait until he's out in the real world, and on fair playing fields.

Well in terms of my plan for blacksmithing as a career, that's my ultimate goal. But I've planned out so far, what career's that I would like to pursue. Welding or Material's Technology Studies would be my interest's and I'm working on the grades that will get me their.

Well, on losing part of my social life, my parent's sadly will not allow me to do the SCA, I'm still working on them for that. I work at Quizno's and I'm working their 30-35 hours a week to pay of my church, and my mom, debt's that I owe them, save for re-enactment needs, and pay for going to Romania. I'm the type or person who find's his interest in one thing, a highly unpopular and unique thing in St.Albert, Alberta will stick with it to the end. I don't do any sport's because I have a notorious temper. But I do work out weekly, run, and am starting to do swimming. I am called a "tank" for my size, 5'6 average, 140 pounds, hehe!

Look forward to talking to you! Hope this answers some questions! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert
These Romanian excavations are being planned, and might be of interest:

http://www.archaeological.org/webinfo.p ... number=747

The cost on this one is a $325 "Registration Tax". Whatever that is...

And:

http://www.archaeological.org/webinfo.p ... number=380

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)
Greetings,

Thanks for the links, Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard) , very informative. I'll definately check them out! Have a good night! Cheers!

Barrett Michael Hiebert

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Auxilliaries in Dacian Wars.... Anonymous 23 5,514 04-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Anonymous