Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman spathae from Eastern Europe, 200-300AD
Greetings,

My name is Barrett Michael Hiebert. I was born in Romania (Bucharest), adopted from their at a very young age, off 1 year 4 months, and brought to Canada. This has brought me to a fascination about my heritage, culture, history, contempary, and ancient. I was recommended this site from SFI to answer some of my questions. I am most interested in early to late roman spatha's, at the time of 200AD-300AD (when christianity started to become known in Eastern Europe) mainly but would still like to learn. I have recently become quite interested of the type of weapons used in Dacia, modern Romania (Specifically Multenia area) when in 271, or 275AD???, the Roman Empire under Emperor Lucius Domitius Aurelianus pulled out of Dacia for the exposed north bank of the Danube was too expensive, and difficult to defend.

1. Would this warrant that the Dacian's started to revert to their own culture, tradition after losing the backs of the Roman.

2. At the end of the Dacian war, 101-106, and the beginning of the roman imperialism (is that the right word) did the Dacians become romanized, hellenized, if so, did it have an effect on the designs of their weapons?

3. Once the Roman Empire Lucius Domitius had pullen out of Dacia, finding that the north bank of the Danube to be too hard to defend, did the Dacian's revert to their old cultures, and traditions, and therefore, did it affect their designs of weapons?

4. Since the Roman province Dacian Trajana created after the Dacian Wars were historically then comprised of modern Banat, Oltenia, and Transylvannia, did the modern region of Multenia be romanzised at all? And again, did any of this have an effect of the designs of the weapons?

5. And after the loss of Dacia, the roman province of Dacian Aurelianas, which was inside former Moesia, was that at all in historical Dacia, or modern Multenia?

Those are my very specific questions that I ask, and now I got to specifc but questions asking about general things that I wonder.

I already posted the following questions on SFI, and I was directed to here, so now I bring up those questions I asked to you! Big Grin

1. Would my fellow forumites be able to help me to find a typology of the different hilt's and blade's of the different periods, early to late of the spatha?

2. Would any fellow forumites know, or could find any pictures of them for me so I could see them, books to follow would be most welcome as well? Links, internet sites, bring it on!

3. If any of my fellow forumites could find, help me out on this one? Is their any spatha's found from the area of Eastern Europe (specifically Multenia, or modern Romania) so I could more well historically base my specific interest on such a design of a spatha?

4. It would also be interesting to find out what design of hilts, blades lent to to the overall design of the spatha, and it would be nice if you could include some pictures for me!

Though, I must tell you my preferences in order to be fair. I am wanting to focus on a time period when Christianty has just come to Eastern Europe, (as numbers have been evaluated, 200-300AD, please correct me if I'm wrong though). I do have preferences of hilt and blade shapes, but I don't know how to classify them for you, so I will wait until you answer my questions above.

Thankyou very much, and I look forward to hearing what my fellow forumites have to say! Cheers! By the way, I'm new! Tongue

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Hi Barret,

Please! Not so many questions in one post! Question overload! Confusedhock:

Seriously, it's best to keep threads 'simple', so that they can be easily retrieved later. So one thread about Dacian's post-Roman developments, and one about weapons? I can re-name this thread.

Welcome to RAT, btw. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Greetings,

No problem. I will think of that in the future. I just have so many questions! Cheers! Nice talking to you! If you want to re-name the thread, it's okay!

Edit:

Do you mind if we discuss my first set of questions, post Dacia-Roman?

Barrett Michael Hiebert
OK, I'll re-name the post. Can you post the questions about Dacian culture again?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Greetings,

Sure I can do that. I would be very happy to do that. Cheers! Sorry, do I post them in a new thread or here?

Barrett Michael Hiebert
New thread, best in the Civ talk section, as I understand this is about Roman culture?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Greetings,

Well, it is mainly about how the weapons design changed, or influenced due the a result of the roman's coming in, if the Dacians were romanized by the expansion. But I am told that I should start "small" not "big". So, yes, I will post the questions in the CIV forum.

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Quote:Greetings,

3. If any of my fellow forumites could find, help me out on this one? Is their any spatha's found from the area of Eastern Europe (specifically Multenia, or modern Romania) so I could more well historically base my specific interest on such a design of a spatha?

Barrett Michael Hiebert

This sword is still debatable as whether it’s Roman with a new pommel put on at a later time or possible a crossover sword, going from one style to another. But, since it’s a Fresh water find, found between Romania and Bulgaria, I thought you might like to see it.

Late Roman/early Age of Migration, 4th-6th centuries A.D.
Double-edged blade with slight central ridge, the lower half of the blade heavily corroded. Short, sturdy quillons with lateral surfaces narrowing towards the blade. Flat tang with mushroom-shaped, slightly ridged pommel. Cleaned water find. Length 62 cm.
Rare type of sword, which documents the transition from the late-antiquity gladius to the early medieval mushroom-pommel sword.

click on it for a larger picture.
Steve
Greetings,

Steve Sarak:

Thanks for the reply, most interesting, very small and rare. I saw this if I remeber correctly earlier on Ethnographic Sword Forum, or SFI. Most interesting! Thanks for posting it. Anything else that you can supply me with, would be wonderful as well. Cheers! Look forward to talking to you!

Barrett Michael Hiebert