Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macedonian Shields
From an article at http://www.mrt.com.mk/en/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=34

[quote]Macedonian shields from the 2nd century B.C., found near Prilep village Bonce, were gifts for the Gods, says archeologist Dragi Mitrevski. The archaeologists have also found ceramics, a knife and pots.
“We were not familiar with the context of the site. We did not know whether the items were part of a house or a tomb, but now we have solved the mystery. The shields and the other items were buried in a ditch as gifts for the Godsâ€
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Very interesting, thanks for posting this. The chased bronze sheet looks to be very similar to the "shield of Demetrios Poliorketes" found some time ago. It's a shame that because it's in pieces we probably can't tell the full size of it.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
From Vergoti Florina dated in the time of Philip II.
Carries the 8 ray star of the Argeadae royal family.
Thought to belong to an officer of the Hypaspist from Lygistis.
Kind regards
Quote:From Vergoti Florina dated in the time of Philip II.
Carries the 8 ray star of the Argeadae royal family.
Thought to belong to an officer of the Hypaspist from Lygistis.
Kind regards

Do you know of any published sources which discuss this? I've never heard of it before. Do you know the estimated circumference, for instance?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
A good read about this topic:
K. Liampi, Der makedonische Schild, Athen - Bonn: Habelt. 1998
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Shields from Florina are also in Thessalonica Meuseum but I do not know if they are on exibit now.
Crisitian has given a good reference.
The author worked in the Thessalonica Meuseum.
Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Macedonian Silver Shields Johnny Shumate 121 32,681 11-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Mythos_Ruler