Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alamanni
Quote:Many military units panic after their commander is injuried.
Do your sources tell how they were being employed, or how Julian used them after he got them turned around?
Yes, but they are chastised by Ammianus because he felt their was not enough cause for them to flee.
Ammianus never returns to the cavalry, but I've read that Zosimus tells how they were punished by being dressed in women's clothing, and how they later regained their honour. That tells me they were not of much use during the rest of the battle.
Quote:We ought not however to pass over in silence an action of Caesar after the victory. He possessed a regiment of six hundred horse, which were well disciplined, and in whose valour and experience he so confided, that he ventured great partof his hopes upon their performances. Indeed when the battle commenced, the whole army attacked the enemy with all the resolution they could show; but some time afterwards, though the Roman army had considerably the advantage, these were the only troops that fled, and left their station so dishonourably, that when Caesar rode up to them with a small party, and called them back to a share of the victory, he could not by any means prevail on them to turn. On which account he was justly indignant with them, for having as much as related to them betrayed their countrymen to the Barbarians. Yet he did not inflict on them the usual and legal punishment. But he dressed them in.women's clothes, and led them through the camp towards another province, thinking that such a punishment would be worse than death to soldiers that were men. Indeed this happened very fortunately both for him and them; for in the second war against the Germans they recollected the ignominy which had previously been imposed upon them,and were almost the only troops who conducted themselves bravely in that engagement.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Robert,

What would Roman cavalry tactics been in a battle like Strabourg? With the German cavalry dismounted, there would not have been horseman on horseman action. Would they have tried to turn the German line?

IIRC the German cavalry did not dismount - that is possibly a misreading of Ammianus. He says that the Germans called on their leaders to fight on foot with them and that they did so which may not mean that all the cavalry dismounted unless we see them all as leaders.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
That's certainly plausible. On the other hand, if the leader of a mounted unit dismounted to fight, I would think that his men would do so as well.

I was accepting an earlier posting as valid.

Well, if they stayed mounted, assumedly their comnbat was traditional horse-on-horse.

Thank you.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Do you know something about the millitary formation called "Pretorian camp". According to Ammianus this formation was created around soldiers of "Legio I" in the Battle of Agrentoranum. However he discribed it very laconic. Oh by the way, when I am using your kowledge dear friends Wink I would be also greatful for a link to a website where I could find a good map showing provinces of Germania I and II in the 4th century A.D.
Daniel Budacz

Fortuna non penis, in manus non receptus...
This is not a detailed map, but it's a start:
www.roman-emperors.org/nouest4.htm

Ron Andrea
Good map to have handy.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That site features maps by the century as well as other resources which seem to be reliable.

Ron Andrea
Ron Andrea
I have got this map already, but thanks a lot for help Smile

Have any of you read or heard about Alamanni weapon called Ango?
Daniel Budacz

Daniel,

I know nothing of the ango. I googled it and found the following English citations, which probably tells you nothing you don't already know:

-- a spear or ango with a barb on either side of the blade

-- the ango, or javelin, is rarely found after 800

-- ango with a barb on either side of the blade

If you need the references, I can supply them (though one is JSTOR, a membership site).

Ron Andrea
Ron Andrea
O really? I will be very grateful Smile D most of the sides on google are Polish shops or wholesales Wink
Daniel Budacz

Daniel,

Here are those links:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0031-2746(195811 )14%3C2%3AEGW%3E2.0.CO%3B2-G

http://www.deremilitari.org/RESOURCES/A ... upland.htm

http://past.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/cont ... ion/14/1/2

I am unfamiliar with these sites, but they seem scholarly, if not reliable.

Ron Andrea
Not sure the link will work. You may have to enter them manually.

Ron Andrea
You can find some maps with both Germaniae in: J. Strzelczyk, Wandalowie i ich afrykanskie panstwo, Warszawa 1992... Smile However they are not detailed.
SALUTO,
ANDREAS GOBINIUS

"ANTIQUITAS" OFFICINA ARTIS CRETARIAE

http://www.antiquitas.pl
[Image: ANTIQUITAS_logo_smaller.jpg]
Ron Andrea
Once again thanks! You know why there where so few sources on internet about ango? becouse I gave you wrong name of this weapon :] Its correct name is Angon, and it was barberic type of pilum, a sort of remake Wink I manage to find this in one of the books on my shelf.

Andreas Gobinius
Czesc! Nie wiem czy dozwolone jest komunikowanie sie w rodzimym jezyku, no ale skoro juz spotkalem ziomka to czemu nie... tak bedzie szybciej Wink mapa potrzebna mi jest do prezentacji multimedialnej, musze na nia naniesc kilka szczegolow (doklanie miejsca, w ktorych Julian wzniosl kasztele podczas kampanii w 356-359) Dlatego najlepiej by byla to wersja elektroniczna Smile

To mod- I hope those few sentences above written in my native tongue are not against statute - it was first and last time Smile
Daniel Budacz

Quote:To mod- I hope those few sentences above written in my native tongue are not against statute - it was first and last time Smile

We'll allow it for now, due to the Christmas season... :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)