Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buttons frog?
Always they appear in military places, does someone know the concrete usefulness(utility)?

[Image: botonesromanosconaro.jpg]
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
Backs side

[Image: botonesromanosconaroreverso.jpg]
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
i have read somewhere there could be paenula buttons.
That was the opinion I formed Cesar, as I have seen some in Brian Stobbs collection and reproductions that he made of them!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Some belt and/or pouch flap toggles looked like that, too.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Button/loop belt fasteners.
Quote:Always they appear in military places, does someone know the concrete usefulness(utility)?

These are button-and-loop fasteners. As such they seem to have had a variety of functions.

1. A means of fastening clothing (they often used to be called 'dress fasteners' in the British literature). As such, they appear to be shown on the paenula (two buttons with two toggles) of the Camomile Street soldier.

2. Associated with (although in an unclear manner) with horse harness.

3. In a larger form, and with a double loop, possibly used instead of a buckle, based largely upon the discovery of one with belt fittings (without a buckle) wrapped around a sword at Vindonissa.

There were probably other uses too, but one thing seems fairly certain: they were not exclusively military, since they occur on sites and in contexts where there are no military finds.

One word of advice: if you post photos of artefacts for identification, it is always useful to have a scale (even a coin will do; the Royal Mint publishes exact dimensions of all British coinage on the web, and I assume other countries do likewise, so it is easy to check).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cloak buttons/any buttons muskitear 36 5,626 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar