Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montefortino rivets
(For some reason I can't find the original post, so..)
When I was in the UPenn museum this past week I took another look at their Montefortino and noticed that the cheekpiece rivets were covered up by the metal band around the helmet rim. I don't know if all Montefortinos were like this, but that is pretty slick. Note that the metal banding is flush with the rest of the helmet.

Outside of UPenn Montefortino
I can't even see where the rivet heads might be.

Inside of UPenn Montefortino, showing rivets
Same side.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Hi Rich
Are those your photos? Can we use them for the database?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ave Richard,

on most Montefortino A's I know the rivets are placed above the corded rim in the parallel engraved lines.

Indeed on your pics they are not visible to me. Some spot looks like a rivet on the rim, but it might only be a stain and cheat.

I'll check some high res photographs. Think I've seen that 'invisible' rivet phenomenon before, but I might be wrong.
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Richard, is it possible that it was done like this:

-when making the helmet bowl they riveted the hinge on the outside of the bowl upside down, a little bit above the edge of the bowl. Then they turned a part of the rim of the bowl inside the bowl, at the same time turning the bowl hinge at the inside of the bowl and finishing the bowl rim at the same time?

just a thought :oops: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
If you look at the image of the other side from the Helmet Database, the rivet heads are clearly visible, but the craftsman has simply run the beading detail over top of them and thus they blend in- it's the lighting that seesm to allow them to be seen here:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ave Matt,

right! And the third rivet on the left is also visible.

That really seems to be the usual place for the rivets. Did they have a square diameter or how could the armourer prevent the engraved rivet heads from turning around?
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
What kind of software do you use for enhancing those pics Matt?
Or was the data base pic like that?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:What kind of software do you use for enhancing those pics Matt?
Or was the data base pic like that?

That's just the way my pictures are... (well, aside from the red arrows of course) Smile

I'll get around to putting those in the RA.com database soon I promise, Jasper....
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:Are those your photos? Can we use them for the database?

Sure, they're mine and free for you to use. It may show the limit of the lighting and digital camera: I should use the 35mm for this.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?