Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manica Modifications for authenticity
Hello all! I hope someone can point me in the right direction for modifying a manica to use with a segmentata!

The manica I have has a large shoulder plate, and is held on (not too well) by a long strap that buckles around the neck/shoulder, plus others which secure it to the arm!
Obviously, the shoulder plate must go, but what is a better method of securing it at the top. Is it fastened to the seg?

hopefully will be able to post a pic in case my description is not as clear as I like to imagine!

regards
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Some fasten them to the seg, others use a leather strap or cord that loops around the neck (I believe the ESG use the latter, and are re-thinking this method?).

I'd personally prefer to attach it to the subarmalis using a chord threaded through holes in the rim of the armhole. Easier to get on and off, even when wearing your lorica, and a lot less stress on the neck.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Salve Gaius Marcus,
Some segs already have straps built into the shoulder portion which will attatch to the manica.I learned this only recently myself. I wasn't sure what those odd straps were for. Mine has them on both sides.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
thanks to you both for the info! Tarb, that sounds like the ideal solution, the one about attaching it to the sub, as the single strap around the neck is not good.

I may get enough leather out if the strap to make three fastening strapsto go through the subarmalis, after appropriate modification.

Regards and thanks
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron, how is your manica held together? Mine's got a hemp cord going through all of the plates (they're also riveted together). I was just thinking of three or four holes through the subarmalis' edging, and then thread one longer chord from back of the manica through the sub-a holes, and back out to be tied to a short one at the front between sub-a and manica, also making it easier to get on and off.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I hook mine onto the shoulder guard unit of my segmentata. It's the only stiff enough piece of something (other than your neck and I don't recommend this) that can give the manica enough support to keep it from slipping down. I'm not sure I'd trust that much weight and pull on stretchable, tearable fabric.

Legion: TBD
My manica only has the straps around the arm:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/manica3.jpg

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/manica.html

I haven't worn it for long periods, but I don't see why it shouldn't stay in place. The strap at the wrist will keep it from sliding down any farther, I would think.

Andy, you say there are straps on some loricae that stick out from the shoulder section?? I've never heard of such a thing! Did they just make the internal shoulder guard leathers too long? Sounds wacky.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Yeah, yours seems a bit lighter than mine matt...and my wrist opening prevents the whole manica from sliding off also. But it isn't quite an exact fit, and I find when it's not tied off to my shoulder guards, it slides down enough to be uncomfortable and start chaffing. Though I bought mine, and didn't make it myself, which could explain the fit, but once I tie it off it seems to be fine.

Hello tarbicus, mine is just riveted through the leather straps, with other holes in the steel for perhaps attaching some padding.?

Well Matt, when I chose mine on the website, it looked like it was similar to yours, especially the straps! Unfortunately, the one I recieved was a bit different! As to my subarmalis, it is of quiet sturdy construction, so it should be strong enough to keep the upper section from flopping about, if I can do what I am thinking about, without making a pigs ear out of it! :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, if it doesn't work at least you have some options. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Authenticity emj1s 3 1,123 05-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Last Post: emj1s
  Helmet modifications Anonymous 8 2,193 07-04-2004, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Crispvs