Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need needlefelt gladius/pugio
Has anyone got a pattern and supply source for needlefelt weapons? I'm building a prototype for the fencing concept.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Contact Gagan or Gaurav at Deepeeka! They have a new range of hi-density impact-foam gladii that are simply great!
Salve
Are you interested in finding a good source of felt to manufacture your own weapons, or do you wish to find a source of pre-made weapons?
I get all my felt from a company in Canada. the material is high grade, (actually you can get almost any color, thickness, and hardness you desire) and the service is prompt.
They are called Brand Felt
www.brandfelt.com
[email protected]
FAX: 905-279-3099
Tel: 905-279-6680 or 905-279-6690
Rustius Noricus/Robert
I could do either. I would need to see a current example before buying it to see if it would do. Otherwise, probably have to make them to make sure they can conduct the current for the hit indication.

High impact foam could work well too. I'll probably try both techniques out.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
you mean like this? [url:284xgpy6]http://www.reenactor.net/Ancient/nfs/2-build.html[/url]
CASSIVS ANTONIVS CRISPVS
aka Chris Stewart
[Image: 43ef68_2f6cc79f005f46bc8d9f47d13dd81201~mv2.png]
OPTIO - LEGIO XI CLAVDIA PIA FIDELIS
http://www.11thlegion.net
Yes, that's great. Looks like there are any number of ways to stiffen the core. Wood too fragile?
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
For the guys at Fort Lafe and Castra Romana, wood has been banned due to the fact that it can fracture and produce sharp edges that are potentially dangerous. Only fiberglass kite spars are to be used.
CASSIVS ANTONIVS CRISPVS
aka Chris Stewart
[Image: 43ef68_2f6cc79f005f46bc8d9f47d13dd81201~mv2.png]
OPTIO - LEGIO XI CLAVDIA PIA FIDELIS
http://www.11thlegion.net
Pardon my jumping in.

I'd recommend 1/2" fiberglass. Golf course flag poles, for instance, make perfect cores for mock weapons.

They're practically indestructible.

Respectfully,
Dominus of Rome
a.k.a. Sean Richey
[email:keadao6t][email protected][/email:keadao6t]
Wouldnt rattan be safer than fiberglass even? I know the SCA has used it for many years with no major concerns.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
You can use most any stiff substance, of course, but as already stated, should you bring "non standard" materials to Lafe or Castra, you may not be allowed to use them. So, seems to a dumb Texan like myself, if you're building one to use where you are, it makes sense to make it so it will work anywhere.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To.. wear the Pugio and Gladius (belts, fasteners) Tarbicus 275 72,446 07-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  One Belt for Pugio and Gladius 66kbm 3 2,548 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  guttman gladius whit pugio munazio planco 7 2,335 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: munazio planco