Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the meaning of "&lsquo", "&rd
In text from this site i found some short frases, that i can't translate, maybe someone could help me?
1. I found this one quite hard to understand :
"with another as ‘reservist’' evocatus."
i would like to know the meaning of "&lsquo".
2." they were “acording to the .... "
i would like to know the meaning of "ldquo" .
3. "” Tacitus ...."
i would like to know the meaning of "rdquo".
All words are from " The development of Roman army 31BC - AD 235 "
Any help is welcome,
Thank You in advance.
Martynas Tininis
Hey Martynas,
Which browser do you use? I don't have that problem when I look at the page.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Sorry, but it is hard to tell about the browser ( i am not very interested in that stuff and terms ), but is this "error" made by programs, browsers and etc. i have ?
Martynas Tininis
Hi Martynas,
It is possible that this error is caused by your browser which does not correctly interpret the html code in the page, yes.
Is it Firefox or Internet Explorer?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Basically, your browser is not reading the page correctly.
The text in question is HTML code.
I might be wrong, but I think ‘ is left straight quotation mark,
’ ist right straight quotation mark. The others are code for other quotation marks, maybe?
Aka
Christoph
I have internet explorer. So, is there any way of fixing? Mayby adobe reader is too old?
Martynas Tininis
Quote:I have internet explorer. So, is there any way of fixing? Mayby adobe reader is too old?

Here is example :
http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/4316/examplelf5.png
Martynas Tininis
Hi Martynas,
You could try updating your internet explorer. Under Help-> About you can find the version. It should be 6.something.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Well, my internet explorer version is 6.0.290..... and the newest acrobat reader... and still no changes, the same. I think it is writen what i see :roll: . I just need the translation...
Martynas Tininis
Greetings,
I occasionally get that sort of thing cropping up on IE6, can't remember if Firefox does it too.... I think it sometimes happens when a foreign language is being used and it does not translate properly...
At times, I also thought the word was 'unsuitable' and replaced by gobbledegook..... :?
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
“ = "
” = "

The page just wants to show the fancy ones that curve left and right, but for some reason it isn't. Those aren't words, they're just part of the page code. So the translation for both is "

’ = '
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Maybe i should try to update my windows?
Martynas Tininis
That might work. Can you post the link to the site? Then we could see if it's just a problem with that particular site or not...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan