Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rivetted Roman mail
Salvete,

I'd like to try my hand at the construction of authentic Roman chainmail.

Can anyone give me some information?

How can one punch the solid rings out off sheet metal?

How are the rivetted rings constructed? How are the mushroom shaped rivets set? I know the wedge formed ones can be set with a special kind of pliers, is this possible too with the mushroom rivets?

Thanks in advance,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
See:

Making Roman Like Riveted Maille

As I used wedge rivets, the techniques are really 14th century, but with interleaved solid and riveted rings it looks roman. Detailed images of actual roman maille are difficult to come by, I've never seen a good view of the rivets. From what I've read the rivets should be made from round wire. maybe bronze. Solid rings are most easily purchased. A custom vendor of washers, like Seastrom, can make any size that you want:

Seastrom washers
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
I've only ever seen postulated methods of making punched rings- basically forms of die-cutting. Given that Roman steel wasn't exactly of high or even consistent quality, it seems difficult to reconcile the method- then again, maybe they had no problem with constantly re-working the tools to sharpen them, etc. and didn't expect to be able to make all that many rings between 'servicing'. The Egyptians used copper chisels that had to be re-hardened REALLY often and they managed to carve incredible things...

As for the rivet, the Roman mail I've seen seems to have domed rivets which would be made from wire, which means they need a circular hole- a slit won't do the way it would for flat wedges- that means some kind of tiny punch, and lots of hammering. No problem if you have an army of slaves making mail all day.

This first image shows clearly the rivet heads- one is indeed copper. It's also all riveted- no solid ring row. The second image also shows roundish rivet heads, but there are solid ring rows- indicated by the arrows.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thanks guys!

I'd like to use the corect rivets to make the mail. I fear however that this will be a lot more work than using wedge shaped rivets...

I didn't know copper rivets were used, this is very interesting. Copper rivets would be a lot easier to do than iron/steel ones. I wonder if there is a large difference in strength between rings rivetted with copper or steel rivets...

Valete,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Matt, are these two finds dated? Do you perhaps have these photos in better quality? They'd be very welcome.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Unfortunately I don't know about the dates Jef, and both images are originally from the Roma-Victrix website- excellent if anyone hasn't already seen it- and already enlarged and cleaned-up by me.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
[size=200:2q4vqax3]Have butted rings mail ever been used in ancient or mediaeval times?[/size]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Yes.

I can't say for sure they were used in Roman times, but I have read of them being used later. As might be expected, the wire used to make the rings is necessarily much thicker...
Very interesting. Thanks Matt.
Ivan Perelló
Quote:Have butted rings mail ever been used in ancient or mediaeval times?
An example that I can think of came from Dura Europos (mid 3rd century). Copper alloy butted rings were found on the periphery of maille fragments, suggesting its use as decoration.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
The Kirkburn mailshirt from Yorkshire was butted construction. Ring sizes ranging from 8.2mm going up to 9.2mm.

Dated to around 300-200BC IIRC :?

The info is more detailed on Madoc's "The Vicus" website

Kirkburn Butted 8.2-9.2 mm 1.5-1.6mm
I've also read that butted rings were often used as field repairs in rivetted vests.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
That would make perfect sense.
FAVENTIANVS,

There is a shirt I believe from Switzerland that has a "Celt" connection that is constructed of 6-in-1 pattern maille that has some, or all butted rings.

As for later I have never seen an authentic medieval piece that was butted. I have read that there is some 16th, or 17th century pieces that have butted construction. However they were never meant for warfare, only for show.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Thanks for the comments folks, you have really enlighten me. It was a doubt I always had.
Ivan Perelló

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  De-Galvanizing a punched-rivetted Hamata QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS 24 3,589 04-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Last Post: QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS
  butted vs rivetted Marcus Mummius 28 4,837 05-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Chuck Russell