Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New \'natural\' product to preserve your equipment...
http://www.lanotec.com.au/lanotec.php?link=3

I don't know whether these guys export as yet but I'm expecting a sample though the mail shortly. I'll let you know...

It looks like it has many different uses and applications beneficial to reenactors! Big Grin
Ave Adrian,

is that a special kind of Lanolin / wool wax / wool grease? Pure or mixed with paraffin (or something else)?
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
According to the website Heiko, it's 100% biodegradeable with no harmful petrochemicals such as paraffin.
Ave Adrian,

thanks! Sounds promising!

I searched Wikipedia and the German Lanolin Society. So wool grease was called ‘oesypus’ in ancient times. It was long forgotten and reappeared in 1885 as ‘Lanolin’ invented by the scientist Liebreich. Some manufacturers tried to copy it and in a patent dispute, were claiming there couldn’t’ be a patent granted for 'Lanolin' because it was already known by ancient Greek pharmacologist Dioskorides.

In 1893 a court of law sentenced the John Richardson & Co Company in Leicester for patent infringement. The court stated, that Lanolin was more than only the result of Dioscorides recipe and therefore not already common to Greeks and Romans. (The judges’s name was Romer… :wink: )

Lanolin was very successful and lots of similar trials followed, disputing oesypus, Dioskorides’ recipe and Plinius, who mentioned it. (All ended up confirming the Lanolin-patent). Another important and very detailed scientific quarrel was about calling the ancient stuff ‘oesypus’ or ‘oesypum’ ;-)
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
You need to get out of the house more Heiko! :wink:
This could be great for waterproofing cloaks 8)
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
It says the hydrocarbon solvent evaporates and leaves the clothing treated non fire susceptible! So it should be OK for cloaks, once the parafinic solvent has disipated!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel