Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hemp in the Roman era
In a separate thread somebody suggested I use hemp fabric instead of linen for a heavy-duty project (in this case, a squamata backing).

Just wondering what the evidence was to support the use of hemp in the Roman era. Was it in use at the time? For rope? For fabric? Both?

Just curious.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Quote:In a separate thread somebody suggested I use hemp fabric instead of linen for a heavy-duty project (in this case, a squamata backing).

Just wondering what the evidence was to support the use of hemp in the Roman era. Was it in use at the time? For rope? For fabric? Both?

Just curious.

Ave,

I know I was the person who went on about hemp in the other thread so I figured I should put my money where my mouth was an come up with some info. :wink:

In "The Textile Industries of Roman Britain," J. P. Wild, Britannia, Vol. 33. (2002), pp. 1-42. The author has a short reference on p. 7 to the use of hemp traditionally for sailcloth and rope. I have just skimmed the article but it looks informative.

I found some other articles just talking about woolens that might be of interest: "Soft-Finished Textiles in Roman Britain," J. P. Wild,
The Classical Quarterly, New Series, Vol. 17, No. 1. (May, 1967), pp. 133-135.
Just woolens but talks about production and finishes.

"The Textile Industry in Roman North Africa," Rolf Johannesen, The Classical Journal, Vol. 49, No. 4. (Jan., 1954), pp. 157-160.
Just woolens but talks about the organization of the industry.

I'll poke around and see what else I can turn up. If you'd like copies of these, email me privately and I'll send them to you.

Cheers,

Lucianus
Well that's excellent. If it can be documented for an industrial use such as sailcloth, other heavy-duty uses don't seem like a big stretch. I could see it being a popular material among sailors because of it's mildew-resistent properties (as someone mentioned in the other thread) and probably those are characteristics that'd be just as advantageous if not more so in an armor backing.

Thanks very much! And I will email for those articles.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Quote:
Franklin:2fbepqkg Wrote:In a separate thread somebody suggested I use hemp fabric instead of linen for a heavy-duty project (in this case, a squamata backing).
I know I was the person who went on about hemp in the other thread so I figured I should put my money where my mouth was an come up with some info. :wink:

Thanks L.E.,
I was the other guy who suggested that option. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Thanks L.E.,
I was the other guy who suggested that option. Big Grin

Hey, I didn't mean to steal your thunder. :wink:

Anyway, it was good for me to get off my butt and do a little research, builds character. Big Grin

Lucianus
________
L.E. Pearson
L.E. Pearson