Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The army of Septimius Severus
Salvete!

I was reading a biography of Septimius Severus by Spielvogel recently and it contains a picture for the arch of Severus. Caption says it's the left relief on the side of the Forum. It shows soldiers leaving a camp, a battle and Severus holding a speech in front of his troops.

I found the representation of equipment and troops very interesting and there would be some things I would like to discuss.

Maybe someone has a picture of the relief I'm talking about so it would be easier to discuss things?

What I noticed is the variety of troops and equipment. especially the 3 types of shields represented made me think.

There is one type of soldiers visible which I would say are auxiliaries>

They carry oval scuta, long hamatae, bracae.pretty much like the aux. on Traian's column

the 2nd type is already a bit hard to identify>

they look like the auxiliaries but carry hexagonal shields. thought of Praetorians at first but they look much more like the auxiliaries especially because of the short tunics and the bracae. the legionaries all wear longer tunics.

and now finally

the legionaries

there are 2 types visible>
one type is wearing the segmentata and oval scuta while the other is wearing hamatae and rectangular scuta. My question now is: might it be possible that this was made to represent Septimius western troops from the Danubian frontier and the Syrian legions?

There have no fragments of segmentatae been found so far in the East (of course I know that the absence of evidence doesn't mean it wasn't used there but still) and the 2nd point is the use of oval scuta. I guess because they were mainly used by the auxiliaries during earlier times and started to replace the rectangulars completely later on. So my guess here is that the western legions might have started to change to oval scuta earlier because they were prefered by the "natives" there and because of the different kind of warfare along the western borders (small scale actions along the limes and all that stuff which imho calls for the use of oval scuta and spathae as the soldiers are more versatile and more usefull in smaller operations because they can fight as individuals much better than with the earlier equipment).

So is it possible that this was really done to make a clear differentiation between western and eastern troops?
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Try this page:
rubens.anu.edu.au/raider7/rome_2005/monuments/roman_forum/arch_of_septimius_severus/
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I thought segmentata had been found in Syria:
[url:1637kgii]http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=20443#20443[/url]

But Israel ain't too far away, at Gamala where seg fragments were found (Flavian, with sliding rivets on the backplates instead of leathers).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Try this page:
rubens.anu.edu.au/raider7/rome_2005/monuments/roman_forum/arch_of_septimius_severus/

And try this page:
http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/161_Arch ... verus.html
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
well it is this one:

[url:2f8o5pe0]http://sights.seindal.dk/img/large/8266.jpg[/url]

[url:2f8o5pe0]http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raider7/rome_2005/monuments/roman_forum/arch_of_septimius_severus/DSCN6783.JPG[/url]

[url:2f8o5pe0]http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raider7/rome_2005/monuments/roman_forum/arch_of_septimius_severus/DSCN6789.JPG[/url]

but you don't see too much there. in the book he shows a painting of the relief which might have been taken before it was corrodet that much or something.picture taken from Coarelli "Guida archeologica di Roma".

[Micha F.]
Yes, the monument is too eroded to make detailed conclusions, alas! Cry

Can you post a scan of the image in the book?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I will try. have a scanner here but no appropriate power supply lol

[Micha F.]
Quote:Yes, the monument is too eroded to make detailed conclusions, alas!

As far as I recall, Brilliant's book has 18thC drawings of the Arch which show good detail.
Does anyone happen to have that book?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Unfortunately not Sad

I have taken a number of images of the upper left panel of the west side (facing the Capitolium) three months ago. If anybody is interested, send me a pm with your email adress.

Florian

PS: JASPER, would you be interested in these images, too? The resolution is not superb (just a small 3,5 Digicam), but maybe they are still useful Smile
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Hi Florian,
Sure I would be. In fact, I think I have a load of them lying around as well. Of course, I need to fix the gallery on the main site first. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Tell me when I can start transferring images Big Grin
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Well, this is one of those cases where the developer of the component said months ago 'Almost done!'...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any fans of Septimius Severus out there?? Currahee Chris 20 4,366 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Last Post: starman2012
  Septimius Severus Conference Vindex 0 1,084 11-24-2011, 02:40 AM
Last Post: Vindex
  Septimius Severus\' British campaign on UK C4 TV mcbishop 27 5,913 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius