Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mule or donkey?
Salvete,

It is often said that each contubernium had an animal to carry heavy equipment like the tent. Was this animal a mule or a donkey? Or were both used?

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I do believe near the body of the soldier found near Pompeii was found a donkey...but I could be mistaken...

Anyone remember..I believe the remains were in the issue of National Geographic on Pompeii...
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
According to the finds from Kalkriese,in Peter S Wells book, The Battle that Stopped Rome, The bell stuffed with straw was found with a mules skeleton.

And after seeing video of a mule stomping a mountain lion to death while defending it 's owners and pet dog, I think a mule would be a handy animal to have around in more ways than one!! Big Grin shock:

Regards
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I am sure the Romans used both animals. Mules have more uses, as they can both carry loads and pull loads; they can also carry more than a donkey can.
Mules do require special breeding as they do not reproduce themselves. A male donkey and a mare are the parents of a mule. It may have been Vespasian (but I'm not certain) whose ancestry was disparaged by saying that one of his ancestors bred mules for the army - at least I recall it being wirtten about some high placed person's family.
And while both donkeys and mules are noted for their stubborn natures, they are both sure-footed and much less flighty than horses. Mules are used to carry riders down and up again in the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Yes it was Vespasian Quinton! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Mule Mithras 9 2,708 07-29-2005, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Mithras