Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th-6th century Frankish chainmail
Salve,

Does anyone have information on 5th to 6th century Frankish chainmail? I'm doing a reconstruction of the spangenhelm from the Grave of Morken. It's a helmet from the Baldenheim type. These helmets often had a neckguard made out of mail.

The chainmail neckprotection of the helmet I'm reconstructing hasn't been properly studied, it was extremely coroded and I don't think the excavators ( in1955) conserved it.

My question is: what type of chainmail was used by the Franks in the 5th and 6th century AD?

Does anyone know how the chainmail neck protector of this helmet type was constructed? What kind of rings? Half stamped, half rivetted? Flat or round rings? What kind of ringdiameter?

Thanks in advance,
Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
more than likely since the mail is still the same thru to the viking era, i'd say small rings that are roundish with a round rivet alternating with a flat soild ring.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
So something like ID 6mm would be okay?

Kind regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
You might want to contact the armourer Gotscha in the Netherlands. He made a replica of this helmet and states on his website the following:

“Spangenhelm, 2003, by Gotscha Lagidse, Master Armourer. This helmet is reconstruction of the helmet of an aristocrat Sir of Morken, found in the 6th century after CH., collection of the "Rheinischen Landesmuseums" in Bonn (Germany). Made with cooperation of the owner of the original helmet, the "Rheinischen Landesmuseums" in Bonn. Meaning was how the original helmet looked when it was made. The size and materiel is same as the original one. Also the decoration and the amount of holes. Leather and textile lining and fastening of mail is interpretation, but imaginable that they are interpreted correctly. The symbol on the front is also an interpretation because it was “missingâ€
Salve,

The Sutton Hoo mail sirt seems to have been closed with copper rivets. The rings are too corroded to make out whether they were sealed with 'pin' rivets, or with triangular wedges.

Vale,

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
martijn.wijnhoven\\n[quote]You might want to contact the armourer Gotscha in the Netherlands. He made a replica of this helmet and states on his website the following:

“Spangenhelm, 2003, by Gotscha Lagidse, Master Armourer. This helmet is reconstruction of the helmet of an aristocrat Sir of Morken, found in the 6th century after CH., collection of the "Rheinischen Landesmuseums" in Bonn (Germany). Made with cooperation of the owner of the original helmet, the "Rheinischen Landesmuseums" in Bonn. Meaning was how the original helmet looked when it was made. The size and materiel is same as the original one. Also the decoration and the amount of holes. Leather and textile lining and fastening of mail is interpretation, but imaginable that they are interpreted correctly. The symbol on the front is also an interpretation because it was “missingâ€
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
Quote:You can't know this of course but we did this reconstruction as an asignment at my university (Restauration and Conservation) to get a better knowledge of metal working techniques. We got someone to get us started and he gave us classes for 5 full days. Guess who it was :wink: Yes, indeed, it was Gotscha Lagidse. Gotscha is the best crafstman I've been face to face to and have seen work. The man has an incredible intuition and feel.

It is a small world after all.

Cheers,

Martijn