Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albion Late Roman Spatha
Ave,

I found this excellent forum while doing some research a few days ago. This is a wonderful site with a wealth of incredible information. I am a collector of reproduction arms and armor from various quality makers. My main areas of study have been the Migration Era and the Viking Period. I have also studied Roman history with an emphasis on later period arms. I will be acquiring an Albion First Generation Roman Late Period Spatha and would appreciate any information regarding the hilt form. I have performed searches here and found some information but would like to hear from forum members who might possess more knowledge. Please see attached pics of the Albion sword in question.

I have reviewed archaeological finds from Nydam, Vimose, Kragehul and Illerup in an effort to find a hilt form that might match the Albion reproduction. My questions are in regard to the design of the pommel, grip and guard found on the Albion sword. Would any of you good people have an idea of what particular finds or historical art might have inspired Albion? I know representations found in artwork are sometimes the source for designs not found in a dig. Any information or links to good source material would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, some of my best written resource material is currently boxed up due to a recent move.

I have contacted the individual who helped design the sword for Albion and I am still waiting for detailed information.

In the meantime, any information regarding this particular hilt form would be very helpful.

Mods, please move this thread if I am not posting in the correct area.

Thanks to you all!
R. Oxley
I think the people who made that sword have made a speculative hilting, and its don't follows any specific one founded.

In fact, its a strange combination between the early spatae hilting formed by two blocks of wood with a varity of forms (oval, semisphere, spheric) and the so called “migration periodâ€
Gaius, I too considered purchasing this sword a year or so ago. Is it still for sale somewhere? I have waited for the new line of Albion late roman swords lately. One thing strikes me right away with this sword; there is a brass quard on the end of the pommel; I have not seen anything like that before! I think the handle construction is highly speculative but will fall inside the wide variety of late roman handle constructions :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I don't agree. It will fall inside the wide variety of late roman spathe handle speculations.

If we are so meticulous with the helmets, why don't pay attention to spathae, belts, etc?

It's curious. Probably we have a lot of "migration period" swords because there are a lot of burials with swords. We have more exemples of such kind of sword than early gladius. So, we must make reproductions of such swords and let the speculations for the things that we don't have evidence.
You`re right, Cesar! There is no real artifact found which resembles exactly this Albion spatha...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Has any one seen a Next Generation Spatha from Albion? :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
See the following topics...

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ght=albion
Yeah, still with the line drawings of the spatha! Sad

It was seeing the photo of the Alectus that drove me to purchase it, even though I have their first gen mainz.

I love the Decurio, but fortunately, they have no photos, so I have managed to resist doing anything foolish! Smile shock:

Regards
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I want to see the blades, but already the hilts are unimaginative.... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I think the decurio looks like it will have a different hilt! Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts regarding the spatha in question!
R. Oxley
Quote:Gaius, I too considered purchasing this sword a year or so ago. Is it still for sale somewhere? I have waited for the new line of Albion late roman swords lately. One thing strikes me right away with this sword; there is a brass quard on the end of the pommel; I have not seen anything like that before! I think the handle construction is highly speculative but will fall inside the wide variety of late roman handle constructions :wink: ...

Virilis, this particular model is no longer for sale from Albion or any other vendors (to the best of my knowledge). I am acquiring the sword from an individual on a different forum. Based on my research and answers I have received from various sources, I will most likely sell the sword. Although, it is a nice interpretation and Albion makes a fine sword.
R. Oxley
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry Gaius!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote::oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry Gaius!

Gaius, not to worry! I buy, trade and sell swords quite often and there will surely be someone who will appreciate the Albion for its excellent (if not quite historically accurate) qualities.

I appreciate the input from members of this forum!
R. Oxley

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,196 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,820 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,602 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius