Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kukri to Falcata project.
Hey everyone. I am looking into attempting to turn a relatively inexpensive kukri blade, into a falcata. Since I do not own a falcata, does anyone here know specifications on their minimum lengths and widths?

KUKRI
[Image: sirupati.jpg]

FALCATA
[Image: Cigarralejosala9armasfalcatayrestos.jpg]

Any comment/opinions/suggestions?
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
The kukri may be a bit short...for all the work you'll do, it could be cheaper to buy a Deepeeka Falcata....

Legion: TBD
I think that I would agree with Matt not only from the point of view of the blade being shorter, for if you Kukri is a genuine one it should be made from a car leaf spring and I dought you will be able to do anything with it. That is not without a Forge.
Brian Stobbs
So what would be a minimum length a falcata would be? I'm sure it wouldnt be that expensive. Some bone or something to carve, and rivets, then the blade. I can get blades for 10-20 dollars.

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium
Starting with a Deepeeka falcata, how would one thin the 1/4" blade down to what would be more realistic? Disassemble and use up 10 belt sander belts getting the metal off?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
So falcata blades are pretty thin... I dont own one so I dont know the specs very well. I just see alot of similarity between them. Off topic a bit, but I've always thought Roman and samurai helmets are quite similar in design too. Put a scary face mask on a Roman helm and you have a shiny kabuto.

Carpe Dium
The best way to thin down a blade would be to take off the handle of a Deepeeka, or indeed any other then lock the blade in a bench vice by it's tang. Then with a 4 inch disc angle grinder it only takes a few mins' to thin down the blade thickness, not forgetting to wear good gloves and of course safety goggles.
Brian Stobbs
Ah, so now the length is the only question.

Carpe Dium
the thread below might be of interest for you. its not about a falcata, but the reduction method is applicable.

Pugio Blade by Stock Reduction Method - Scabbard Completed:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... &start=100
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
For the grinder list? Thanks! Hopefully my grandpa already has some of that or I would be investing alot of money into this!

Carpe Dium