Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round vs Oval
Quick question:

The Notitia Dignitatum is ascribed to roughly 400AD and depicts strictly round shields, yet most 5thC reenactors run around with ovals.

What gives?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Not us... Tongue
The shield shape debate is the closest parallel on Late Period to the Early Imperial debate on tunic colours... :roll:

Aitor :lol:
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
So your guys all sport rounds?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Not all, just Cohors Prima Gallica! :wink:

[Image: Foulkon-2.jpg]

BTW, they should be dished too, but we'd need a lot of maoney for that... :oops:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Patience, Aitor, I'm working on it. :wink:

And hopefully it shouldn't be vastly more expensive, just more labor intensive. But then, ANYthing would be more difficult compared to just cutting out a piece of store-bought ply! I think that's what's made us spoiled.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Waiting eagerly for your news then, Franklin! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Are there any oval finds dated later than the Dura?
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
No, there aren't; but real finds are so scarce as to make this 'fact' totally irrelevant... Sad

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Aitor

Were they wood strips? If so could be a fun project.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Also, have you come across any evidence that planks were beveled/jointed to fit snug with each other? Or were they simply flat/butted against each other.

I may have already asked you this. Apologies if I have.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Quote:Not all, just Cohors Prima Gallica! :wink:
Don't be sad, you're not alone - in fact many Late Roman groups have round flat scuta. How about the Minervii and I Minerva in Germany?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
And the Primani... Big Grin

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
How were the originals you are replicating made?
Were they dished?

I have some strips aching to be glued up and pressed into a dished round or oval

Hibernici
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Sorry Sean,
I haven't forgotten about you, I have simply had no time to check my books :oops:
I hope to do so tonight.
I'd rather say that Late shields were dished and made of dressed planks rather than wood strips. The Egyptian shields were made of very narrow cedar planks but I think that they were still far from being 'strips' :?

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
I'll be making another shield this winter, my best yet (hopefully) and it will be based on the Dura finds. Why? Because that's where the good evidence is. I'm not going to frolic about in the enjoyable games of oval vs. round and dished vs. flat, when these arguments are based on vastly differing pictorial references which often seem to contradict each other.

So I'm sticking with a Roman shield-making tradition that is perfectly and exhaustively attested: Dura.

I may even attempt authentic pigments! It will be planked, rawhide sewn rim (as with my others).
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.