Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books on Roman religion
Hi folks! I am searchig for good books on religion. I hope that someone will advise me.

I've found these two on Amazon so far: An Introduction to Roman Religion by J.Scheid and Religions of Rome by M.Beard, but I don't know how good they are.
Martin
Salve,

I read the French version of John Scheid's book about the Religio Romana. In German there is the book by Jörg Rüpke (forgot the exact title at the moment :oops: ).

Since this topic about books on the Religio Romana were discussed in the other forum where I'm active I would like to point the following thread out to you because there are many books recommended in various posts otherwise I would've just copied the relevant post:

http://www.societasviaromana.org/phpBB2 ... .php?t=522
For a book with a particular slant toward the Roman Army, I can recommend a book: "Military Religion in Roman Britain" by Georgia L. Irby-Massie.
I was able to obtain it from the Yale University library in New Haven, CT, USA. It included discussion of Roman, Romano-Celtic and other deities as well as how one's rank in the army may have determined which gods one chose to worship. I certainly enjoyed reading it and it was a treasure-trove of information on the religion and religious beliefs/practices of the Roman Army in Britain.

Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Thanks both! I will start wit Scheid's book.
Martin
Quote:It included discussion of Roman, Romano-Celtic and other deities as well as how one's rank in the army may have determined which gods one chose to worship.
Now there's an interesting premise... That notion alone makes me want to read the book. Seems to me that there might be a stronger correlation though, to one's social class (which would influence, of course, one's military rank). If the thesis in the volume is valid, it would seem that we would need evidence of people changing their principle devotions/religions as they rose in rank. Otherwise--if we're talking about different castes typically emphasizing different religious allegiances--it seems more logical to me that these distinctions would be a result of background, upbringing and education. This is independent, as well, from the "conversions" (notably to Mithraism and other mystery cults) which would occur when the men were exposed for the first time to new (and exotic) concepts and faiths. Interesting.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Military Religion in Roman Britain by L.Georgia costs $219 on Amazon...that's too expensive for me now Cry
Martin
Martin, it is a bit cheaper here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Religi ... 66-3728650
I order most of my books through amazon.co.uk and many of them are used books. Just check that there is a mention "international delivery available". I have found many bargains here!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thanks Virilis! :wink:
Martin
I've just got Scheid's Introduction to Roman Religion and started to read it. It looks very good. I hope I will find enough informations about making sacrifices, which I would like to try...
Martin
Sure! Scheid it's one of the better experts in roman religion. I think he's speciallized in the diferent religious groups or collegia (fratres arvales, etc...)

Enjoy the reading!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Religion of the Mithras Cult in the Roman Empire Ioannis 0 1,002 12-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Ioannis