Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum soldier
Well, either it´s the same exhibition and they blatantly lie in that statement about stuff never seen outside Italy before, or it´s not the same exhibition and then the skeletons might be something new and include the soldier. I don´t care - go take a look is all I say.

No use beating me about the head with it.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
i'm thinking of going to the exhibition, exact date not decided yet.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Uhm, Robert, the museum page clearly indicates that this exhibition is the 'last stop' for a travelling exhibition that was in a.o. Munich first. So it can still be both true Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
[Image: SoldadoHerculano2.jpg]

[Image: SoldadoHerculano0001.jpg]
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M.VIB.M.

sad sight really if you imagine what happened to this person who must have had a family somewhere (and of course to the other victims...)

BTW i dont think he was a horseman at all... he doesnt wear a spatha for one.... and i do think he would have been a mariner, leginary/carpenter on leave, a city guard or city garrison legionary... but definetely not a cavalryman!
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:BTW i dont think he was a horseman at all... he doesnt wear a spatha for one
That doesn't mean by any means that he would not have ridden a horse. It seems to me that soldiers rode horses fairly regularly.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think only in Italy itself then....... not every skeleton that has been found has "horse legs"

i should find some documentation about it...

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Where is his pugio is what I want to know and any signs of hobnails too?
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
I've received both National Geographic (more a diary than a decent report of any kind), and The Secrets of Vesuvius by Sara Bisel (also more a diary than a decent report of any kind). The only things mentioned from both are: the sword, military belt, a money belt containing three gold coins, and carpenter's chisels. He had six teeth missing, she believes the front three by violence, but missing teeth were very unusual amongst all of the skeletal remains, the Romans having half the amount missing than the average US person. He was 5' 8" tall, which was 3" taller than the average male found at Herculaneum (5'5"). His shoulders and thighs were very well developed, and he had a stab wound that had gone through to the bone on his left leg.

And that's about it :roll:

Oh yeah, and he had a very big nose.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
when i fell from my bike when it was very slippery i lost three teeth in the front of my mouth, so even his being blasted forward by the pyroclastic flow could have easily done that....

not nessecarily violence(fight)...

a pyroclastic flow is very very violent indeed.......

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:when i fell from my bike when it was very slippery i lost three teeth in the front of my mouth, so even his being blasted forward by the pyroclastic flow could have easily done that....

not nessecarily violence(fight)...

But from what I can tell, the teeth of the others were in very good condition and still had less missing than your average US citizen, and many were also caught in the pyroclastic flow...
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Mmmmmmm interesting indeed!! i should go and read up on pyroclastics now.... however many of them were found inside in stead of outside i thought....

i remember vividly a picture of about 90 women and children's skeletons in a basement of some sorts......

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
The Soldier lay near to Portia (the first skeleton Bisel examined), and she was severely traumatised having seemingly been flung from a wall. Her front teeth are intact because she is described as having buck teeth - she fell face first as well. Don't forget they fell onto a beach. Okkam's Razor says the soldier lost his teeth to his daily occupation - fighting or building.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I believe that most of the Herculaneum skeletons were found in sort of a large boathouse along the beach. For a long time, people thought the population had largely escaped since there were few dead in the town, but in fact they later found very many skeletons along the shore. Apparently many people had fled to the shore, but having nowhere else to go had gone into there to shelter from the hot ash.

However, the shelter was only enclosed on three side, the front side was made up of open arches. Eventually, the boathouses filled with poisonous gases and later ash. I did not think that the Herculaneum residents really died from being burned to death by ash, but rather from suffocating on the gases, though I could be wrong about that. I didn't think they burned to death.
-Christy Beall
So was the blown away (straight through the room) marble water basin in the bath house in pompeii then?

i thought it was in herulaneum....

say something else which tickles my imaginatio.......

has Plinivs ever been found? i know that is way off the beaten track.....

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum soldier Luca 86 18,839 08-30-2014, 01:10 AM
Last Post: john m roberts
  The Herculaneum soldier\'s equipment Crispvs 13 3,119 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: ROMan