Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum soldier
Quote:if he was a horseman. Such is also suggested by the bone structure. Or he just worked out a lot. Maybe.
I heard he climbed trees a lot...
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I heard he climbed trees a lot...

That only works with lava (and then only until the trunk reaches combustion temperature), not pyroclastic flow.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I never understood all the fuss over a bit of thick fog rolling down a hill.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The archeology that did the bony(osseous) study of the soldier was the north American "Sara Bisel", she(it) suggested the idea of the wound for knife in the high part of the femur. Soon the images, only a belt appears in the soldier, with three big square plates and two circular frogs. A cordial greeting, and pardon for my Englishman.
Moncada Martín, Gabriel / MARCII ULPI MESSALA
Quote:The archeology that did the bony(osseous) study of the soldier was the north American "Sara Bisel", she(it) suggested the idea of the wound for knife in the high part of the femur.
Here's a Bryn Mawr review of the report:
[url:1vd857vc]http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2003/2003-09-27.html[/url]

And available at Oxbow for the cost of a copy of Robinson :evil:
[url:1vd857vc]http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/30890/OnlyResult/Yes[/url]

But as luck would have it, make sure you click on the ones by Sara Bisel, not the Mysteries:
[amazon]The Secrets of Vesuvius[/amazon]

Quote:Soon the images, only a belt appears in the soldier, with three big square plates and two circular frogs. A cordial greeting, and pardon for my Englishman.
Thanks very much, and Englishmen often need a pardon :wink: Your english is fine, thanks.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Quote:if he was a horseman. Such is also suggested by the bone structure. Or he just worked out a lot. Maybe.
I heard he climbed trees a lot...
Maybe he was a sailor and climbed a lot in masts..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I was only joking, but you might be right? Who knows? I've ordered the Bisel book, so she may have something to say, even though the techniques she used are somewhat out of date now I read elsewhere. Apparently there was a lot of sniffy reaction to her saying that lead poisoning was a noteable factor in the skeletal remains, but she does also state that it was only when there was a calcium deficiency and severe hunger involved.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Actually the pseudo scientist who once recorded sounds from the past captured in ancient stones did research on the remains, and he came up with:

The Gaul........ The Gaul......... The Gaul........... The Gaul...........

(read Asterix)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
The solider also appears in a very old National Geographic documentary (made before the days when cable television was big, so it was for American public television instead), which deals with excavation of Herculaneum and the analysis process by that woman scientist and her inferences about the bones. I recall that it was very good and interesting... it must have come out when I was around 8-10 years old, so it's been awhile (at least by my limited reckoning)! You could probably order it somewhere.
-Christy Beall
Well Christy (and Jasper of course), maybe you'll find out more in a few days, when the exhibition opens in Nijmegen:

Quote:[size=150:240e0o3f]Herculaneum’s final hours [/size]
Destroyed by Mount Vesuvius, 24 August 79’
1 December 2006 - 18 March 2007

Some two thousand years ago the greatest natural disaster of antiquity took place in Italy.
On 24 August 79 Pompeii and Herculaneum, Roman towns on the idyllic Gulf of Naples, were destroyed by a massive eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
Within a few hours all life in the surrounding areas was wiped out.
Herculaneum is largely unknown and has been overshadowed by the tourist attraction of Pompeii. However, the discoveries made in Herculaneum are unique and sensational. For the first time ever the greatest art treasures from this Roman town can be admired outside of Italy. Alongside great artworks one can also see a variety of everyday items as well as skeletons of the disaster’s victims. The exhibition tells of the unprecedented riches of Herculaneum and brings one face to face with the human dimension of the disaster.
‘Herculaneum’s final hours. Destroyed by Mount Vesuvius, 24 August 79’ has been travelling through Germany since May 2005 and has already attracted about five hundreds of thousands of visitors. The last stop is Museum Het Valkhof in Nijmegen, the Netherlands’ oldest and most important Roman town. At least 75,000 visitors are expected in Nijmegen, making it a new top exhibition for the museum after its success with the Limbourg Brothers exposition in 2005.
The exhibition takes place in Nijmegen from 1 December 2006 to 18 March 2007
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I'm sure more RATers will go. Maybe have a RATmeet?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Well Christy (and Jasper of course), maybe you'll find out more in a few days, when the exhibition opens in Nijmegen:

Quote:[size=150:31d2edvu]Herculaneum’s final hours [/size]
Destroyed by Mount Vesuvius, 24 August 79’
1 December 2006 - 18 March 2007

Unfortunately you won't. At least if is that very same exhibit as the one in Munich (and I think it is). Unbelievably - to me at least - not a word about the soldier :-( (
I hope the lighting is better in Nijmegen, it was pretty bad in Munich especially for some of the smaller objects where details often could not be made out because of that ...
Quote:Unfortunately you won't. At least if is that very same exhibit as the one in Munich (and I think it is). Unbelievably - to me at least - not a word about the soldier :-( (
I hope the lighting is better in Nijmegen, it was pretty bad in Munich especially for some of the smaller objects where details often could not be made out because of that ...

Well, they say that it is different:
Quote:For the first time ever the greatest art treasures from this Roman town can be admired outside of Italy
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
i have been to such an exhib before in which there was only one, in resin!!!! skeleton, and the rest of the exhib also was naff... so i will first wait for those who have been to make comments before i decide...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Well, they say that it is different:
Quote:For the first time ever the greatest art treasures from this Roman town can be admired outside of Italy

Well, not everybody would define a a dead soldier as one of "the greatest art treasures" I'm afraid, Robert ;-) )

Art treasures there were some very fine indeed, what I had hoped for were some of the rarely seen everyday-like objects, though Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Herculaneum soldier Luca 86 18,846 08-30-2014, 01:10 AM
Last Post: john m roberts
  The Herculaneum soldier\'s equipment Crispvs 13 3,119 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: ROMan