Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shield boss and sword
Hi everyone,
I am a student in conservation, and this year I have a sword and a schield boss, found in the Netherlands close to Maastricht. They are dated at the second half of the 5th century. Pictures of the boss can be seen in the attachements. Pictures of the sword (X-rays) will be attached in a second message. I am looking for some more information about the type. If anyone knows more about these objects, or has some references you can reply me on this message or on my e-mailadres: cansjeATyahoo.fr
Thank you,
regards,
ansje
Here are the pictures of the sword. Number 1 is the beginning, number 5 is the point.
ansje
They look fairly standard early 'Merovingian', Ansje...
Are the scabbard's chape, locket and buckle (plus the pommel) silver or just copper alloy?

Regards,

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
They are all copper alloy.
Indeed, they should be early Merovingian, but I am not so familiar with all these different types.
Thank you for your reaction.
ansje
Ansje,
I'm no expert on that period but, if nobady else reacts, I can trace some bibliography for you. AFAIK, both items are fairly common ones 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi Aitor,
nobody seems to reply, so it would be very nice if you could help me with the bibliography.
Thank you
ansje
Ansje or Aitor, could you explain to me the function of the modern soldered copper loops on the shield boss?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
to hold the piece together? That is very clever, (sorry to stick my nose in again) I have never seen that before either! (possibly because I am not an archaeologist!

I look forward to the info on here! Smile

regards
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sorry ansje, I had forgotten about you and this thread! :oops: :oops:
I'll try to make a quick search and send you something before next Monday!

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Thank you Aitor.
This copper loops are stuck on the boss to keep the different pieces together in the right way. they are kept by a glue that melts by heat, and becomes hard when it's coled down. In the conservation it is commonly used, to keep pieces on the right place while bonding them. It is an easy way to use theze loops, but not all objects can stand the heat of the glue, so be carefull if you would like to try something like that.
ansje
Q for ansje, how do you digitize these films??? Scan, photo...?
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Smile I just take a digital photograf on a light table. Scanning them gives no good results.
ansje
I think that I've found something that you'll find useful, ansje! 8)
I'm sending you an e-mail.

Aitor

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shield boss dating / typology Caballo 17 5,358 01-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Last Post: tiberius aemilius naso
  Shield boss from Carlisle mcbishop 4 1,933 03-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Is the Short Sword and Shield Overrated? rrgg 68 21,295 12-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Last Post: caiusbeerquitius