Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Sunhats
Quote:The Boeotian helmet is 'supposed' to have been developed from the sun hat but you could also argue that it is just a wide brimed flat pylos helmet

http://spartanwarband.com/gallery/ancie ... ian_Helmet
[/img]

It does look like a Pilos, doesn’t it? But the contours of the rim are identical to the shape of the Beoetian hat with the straps down as you can see in this reconstruction.

[Image: pilos.jpg]

Basically the same shape of cold weather felt hats; the only difference is the height of the Pilos and the fact that the Beoetian had straps.

We had pretty much this discussion again in this thread:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ning#81428
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
It seems that all three hats had their metal counterparts; the Petassos, the Boeotian and the Pilos. I believe the Petassos helmet is earlier than the Boeotian, and that these were both used by cavalry, whereas the Pilos seems to have been exclusively for infantry.

You could get a metal one, and use your helmet as your sunhat, but I suspect it would be less effective and why bother? The slave can carry the helmet while you wear the sunhat!
I can not comment on which came first, but for the rest I agree with you Paul.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Quote:It seems that all three hats had their metal counterparts; the Petassos, the Boeotian and the Pilos. I believe the Petassos helmet is earlier than the Boeotian, and that these were both used by cavalry, whereas the Pilos seems to have been exclusively for infantry.

You could get a metal one, and use your helmet as your sunhat, but I suspect it would be less effective and why bother? The slave can carry the helmet while you wear the sunhat!
And the Phrygian?

[Image: flphrygian.jpg][Image: MacedonianHelmet.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Indeed!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)