Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dar Buc Ammera mosaic
Here are some photos of the gladiators on the famous mosaic from Dar Buc Ammera in Libya. They are a bit small, but at least they're now available on-line.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Fine pics, Jona. I now have them safely salted away on my computer. Has anyone seen pics of the new gladiator mosaic find in Libya? It's been at least a year now. There should be something published.
Pecunia non olet
Very nice, Jona - thanks a lot!
Thanks Jonas,
It's about time that some decent images were out there from the Zliten mosaic. As you say a little on the small side but better than what's been available so far. I've done a few examples of gladiator mosaics but without the clarity to see each individual tesserae they've all turned out a bit Mickey Mouse. The recent gladiator mosaic had a few poor quality photos in 'Minerva' magazine but these were taken at an angle and in bright light. It's now in the Leptis Magna Mosaic Museum and closely guarded against people taking photos of it, apparently it has sheets of plywood over it which I assume are only removed in the presence of the museum staff but I may pop out there next year and see if it's possible to get some decent shots, (all strictly legit, of course!) If I manage to get any I'll post them up.
Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
I was at Leptis Magna this spring and have not seen a new gladiator mosaic. I will be there next spring, and will ask permission.
Jona Lendering
My website
Salve Jona,

thank You for the pictures and laudes NR. 96 for You!

But I have a little demand for the correction of the text of this part of the mosaic:

[Image: dar_buc_ammera_gladiators_tripoli_mus09.JPG]

In Your website the two gladiators are called 'samnites'. IMHO, which is relying on Marcus Junkelmann's splendid classification that is proved by dozens of genuine depictions, we have here a murmillo (left) versus a thraex (right).

You can clearly identify the characteristic parts of their Armour.

murmillo: only one short greave at the left leg, none on the right. Reason is his long rectangular scutum of legionary type, which is not good visible here, but when he performed a legionary stance with the left leg forward the rest of the leg above the short greave was protected by the scutum. Typical helmet that mostly have a curved metallic crest (sometimes with organic material: feathers or horse tail).

thraex: very high greaves on both legs, far over the knees. Reason is his relatively small rectangular scutum, so he needs better protection for his legs. His helmet has a far extension at the spit of his crest, that is presumably the thraex-typical griffin depiction. If the metallic part of his crest would be better visible, it would almost for sure be cornered. At last, we can see clearly his cornered gladius, the thraex-typical sica, with that he has passed by his adversary's protection.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Thanks, I've corrected it.
Jona Lendering
My website
Woulds be nice to have apicture of the pair which seem to be provcators with Mohican type crest :?

Nice to get one of them at a decent size though Big Grin
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
The text states that the murmillo in the depiction above has taken a wound to the belly. It looks to me like he has incautiously advanced his right leg before his left and has taken a backhanded draw-cut to the back of the thigh as a result. The sica can clearly be seen behind his thigh and that seems to be where the blood is pouring from.
Pecunia non olet
I've put online several larger photos (not all) and have taken into account John's remarks. I will still add a map of the villa, but it takes some time to make it.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Woulds be nice to have apicture of the pair which seem to be provcators with Mohican type crest

... after Junkelmann it'is the only depiction up to now with a crested provocator helmet, BTW.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe