Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sagum questions
I've posted a similar message on the "Enemies" part of the board, but upon reflection figure this may be a more appropriate place for the question. What is the latest theory on sagum construction and are there any documented survivors that are single colored, verses an elaborate multi color weave? Also, what would a 1st/2nd Germanic Warrior be wearing, in terms of cloth coloring and weave?

Thanks,
Jim Zucker aka Vadormarius
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 54&start=0

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 60&start=0
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello Jim

If you really want in depth information on Germanic clothing then I am afraid you are going to have to look up the publications on garments such as those from Thorsberg such as Karl Schlabow's book Textilfunde der Eisenzeitt or a paper by Margrethe Hald 'Oldtidsdragter'. in Aarboger for Nordisk Oldkyndighed & Historie 1955. (apologies to Scandinavian RAT members I have no idea how to put a / through the O,s)

As you can see they are not in English and textile terminology also appears to be in another language. :wink:

If you just want a simple reconstruction of a sagum I have given details of sizes in Roman Military Clothing 1.

As for colours it has been common to show reconstructions of the Thorsberg warrior in undyed clothing. Nevertheless you might have seen some reconstructions which do show the blue and white sagum such as the reconstruction on a full size mannequin in Copenhagen Museum for example.

Recent research however has shown that the Thorsberg tunic was dyed red with tablet woven edges and I provided a reconstruction of the Thorsberg warrior with the red tunic and blue and white cloak in Roman Military Clothing 2, much to Robert's disgust who thought I should have been illustrating more Late Romans instead! Big Grin

Hope this helps

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.