Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Baecula remains found
The spanish arqueologists Arturo Ruiz (Universidad de Jaén) and Juan Pedro Bellón have found remains of one of the second púnic war battles: Baecula (208 bC).

That arqueologists have made some micro-survey and some explorations. Results including remains of a carthaginian militar camp, with a palisade, and some weaponry like sling bullets and spears. Other remains are coinage, dating the levels between 210 and 206 bC.

The new are published here (it's in spanish)
http://actualidad.terra.es/nacional/art ... 221268.htm

http://www.canalsur.es/Informativos/-Ar ... 07-LJA.htm
Most impressive! The Second Punic War is my main area of interest in Roman history and to finally have someone identify the site of Baecula is indeed worthy of excitement. Anyone have translations of the Spanish press releases? My high school Spanish is sadly not up to the task.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
The interesting things about the finding are resumed in the previous post. If i can get more information, i'll post here, no doubt.
Another link, with the cientific research (oh, it's in spanish...)

http://www.ujaen.es/centros/caai/articB ... m#_ftnref4

The exact location about that battle is not clear, some places are proposed. Probably Dr. Fernando Quesada could give his opinion with more argumentation. :roll:
Lucius Alfenius, AVE!

Most interesting indeed...just finished reading the articles. Just one small question: what's 'roca caliza'...is that like a smooth rock? just curious.

Las expresiones son un poco diferente por estos lados....LOL
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
'roca caliza' is 'limestone rock', Julio Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Please note all these are preliminary results. Weapons, coins and objects -not to mention structures- are quite promising and point towards a late third century BC battlefield date. But these are, I insist, still preliminary results. When more detailed data are available and the study of the weapons found so far is more advanced we'll proivide further info
Cheers
Aitor, Ave!

Aha....Thanks a million! Smile
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
My pleasure, Julio! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Thanks, Fernando. Are you inside the team for the study of the site?
Well... yes, I'm afraid I'm in! :roll:
Well, then we have to wait until the work is completed.

(Off topic: Fernando, i'll send you in a week a mail. It's about the hispaniensis... :oops: )
Hope you are finally working on it!
I'm digging up an old thread here, but is there any more additional information that can released 9 months later? Obviously the process is long and involved, but is there anything that can be disclosed at this point or should I check back in another 9 months? Big Grin
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Quote:I'm digging up an old thread here,
Thanks for digging it up; I missed the original one! Big Grin
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baecula battlefield found near Turruñuelos, Jaen. LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS 5 2,610 03-21-2013, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Thersites
  Cremona battle evidences found! Luca 0 1,012 10-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Luca
  Battle of the Aegates Islands Believed found Tiberius Claudius Vindex 9 3,196 08-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr