Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Cavalry and Artillery - Comitatus Website Update
Not sure where to put this, so apologies if its in the wrong place.

The Comitatus website has been updated with new articles and photos of our new artillery piece and our attached (foederati!) cavalry unit, the Taifali. We need some better pictures of the cavalry, hopefully they will be forthcoming this summer.

http://www.comitatus.net/research.htm
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Alan Wilkins strikes back! :lol:
Are the ropes horsehair, Paul?

Nice site yours, Big Grin oops:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi Aitor,

I don't know much about ballistas I'm afraid. I do know that we did not use sinew or horsehair, but used pre-stretched cord of modern manufacture. As far as I know everything else is an accurate reproduction.

We have begun to display the ballista, shooting a range of 90m where it punches a very nice hole through 6mm plywood targets.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
BRAVO PRAESIDIENSES!!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Absolutely great stuff Paul!
Absolutely great. Comitatus rocks.

(Moved the item to the re-enactment section though).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Did you do any of the riding yourself (just curious as I ride myself) If so how did you find It using the Roman gear?
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net
Me ride? I do ride a little bit, but only treks into the countryside. The horse always knows where it is going!

I'm a foot-soldier. I don't get a ride to the battlefield. I walk. 8)
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Foot-slogger Big Grin
I looked at your videos (I could not open two of them, one of you slinging on the beach). Nice stuff!

I have some doubts as to the use of plumbatae from horseback....
Weren't the Taifali Huns?

Can you tell John that you write Junkelmann, not Junklemann? Big Grin

Don't let this disturb you - I'm nitpicking because I'm dead jealous of you!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:The Comitatus website has been updated with new articles and photos of our new artillery piece and our attached (foederati!) cavalry unit, the Taifali. We need some better pictures of the cavalry, hopefully they will be forthcoming this summer.

http://www.comitatus.net/research.htm

Well!...Well!...very Well!...

You also have a new video-clip update!... A gift from Comerus...how that sound? :?

I like your Charisma!... I laugh alot how you look at the camera... You are good, you sale's!!!! :lol:

Also I like how your Boss smack the face with the stick to his poor soldier! :lol: ...

I think i saw Arthes with the Templar Knight hat?... Smile

[size=150:t6n8a39o]Comitatvs Video[/size]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I've fixed the link to the video clip of my slinging on the beach. It is this link: http://www.comitatus.net/beach2.AVI

Aren't I dashing?!

Many many thanks for your wonderful comments about the website and some of the Comitatus features. THe purpose of my post wasn't to gather praise (honest!!) but to let Robert Vermaat that there are new things to look at. He gets very angry with me if I don't update him! :wink: :wink:

Robert, I too am sceptical of the 'mounted plumbatae', but then I have my own ideas about that weapon. I think John's idea is to try all these weapons - we are, after all - an experimental research group. To discover if plumbatae can be successfully thrown from horseback, well ... that's worth knowing!

Aitor, I must tell you that the ballista was based on lots of research, including your own - and the design was based on sensible interpretations of that research. Your 'presence' is in there somewhere. So if it explodes one day while I am nearby - I will blame you! Big Grin D

The site looks very full because, as everyone in Comitatus knows, I carry my camera with me absolutely everywhere and take pictures of anything that moves, as well as anything that stays still for more than 10 minutes.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Mitras did you noticed this? :? //www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d56CpOIr-U">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d56CpOIr-U

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Paul,
Far from my intention to start here one of those totally boring artillery discussions [Image: headwall.gif] but, judging from what I can see, your ballista is at least 95% (if not 100%) Alan Wilkins'. Therefore, it it explodes, please, go and behead him, not me! Tongue
No, I was kidding... Apart from thinking that it stems from a rather misguided interpretation of ancient sources :roll: , it looks sound and effective. It should reach easily a range of more than 150 meters 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor,

It was made by Len Morgan here in the UK. As to the design specifics, I do not know.

I am not brave enough to begin a discussion of its authenticity or provenence!!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Comerus ... you are a H E R O !!!!!!!!!

I am stunned.

That is fantastic!!! I didn't see that first link in your post.

Wow! Fame at last!

I will immediately send the link to everyone in Comitatus - and of course my mother Smile

A laudes for you - is that allowed?
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Paul, please, forget about the artillery and relax watching at Gioi's video! :wink:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Artillery Nerva 4 1,480 09-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Nerva
  Website update with new info markusaurelius 1 1,069 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  The New Comitatus Website Ammianus 9 3,286 11-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Last Post: John Conyard