Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic clothing in the 1st/2nd Century AD
Can anyone tell me about the color and weave of the fabric used in the clothing worn by Germanic Warriors during the 1st/2nd Century? Also, I know that there is evidence of elaborate sagum. Have there been any examples of simply woven mono colored sagum?

Thanks,
Vadormarius
aka
Jim Zucker
Hi Vadomarius,

I had quick glance at the clothing section in a book on the bog bodies in the germanic world. There is quite a bit of detail so it would be good if you could be more specific. It's a bit difficult in the period you ask for as we have the bog sacrifices, ie local people and the booty sacrifices, which have goods which are not local, overlapping in the 3rd cent.

Generally, finer cloths are thought to have originated in the roman world, eg. the Thorsberg tunic, although this is later than you specify. This is not universally accepted however. Others do argue for local production of finer cloths. Cloaks of your earlier period are mostly skins though these gradually cease to be used and are almost absent around 6th cent. Colours and decoration vary a lot so you may have a cloak which is undyed but with colourful tablet weaving for the edges, or you may have a plain single colour with a tablet woven selvedge of the same colour and with a fringe.

From what I have seen, chequered patterns are quite common. These however look as if they are mainly a few darker threads woven amongst undyed or simply dyed threads. Nothing complex.

Some hats are sheepskin, with the wool on the inside. Some belts are simply strips of cloth where one end is passed through a loop at the other end and tied off.

However, care must be taken. As with Thorsberg and Nydam, some substitution appears to have taken place. With weapons burials, many arrows were of too poor a quality to be 'real arrows'. Same with some of the bows. Good quality items look as if they have been replaced with such substitutes. It may well be the same with ealier clothing. One cloak was found which was made up from over 40 random pieces sewn together. We don't know if this indicates poverty or practicality.

best

Harry A
Harry Amphlett
I agree with Harry, except for the checkered cloaks and clothing. I believe it was Caesar that said that the Celts were the ones wearing colorful and ornate clothing. On the other hand if the tribe that you are portarying borders the Rhine you could have a few checkered cloaks or clothing peices.

Harry,
What is the name and author of that book about the bog bodies of the Germanic world.
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Yes, the chequered stuff in the book is quite simple. I'll post the name of the book later as I don't have it with me but, in the meantime, there is a little bit of info at:

http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/bog

best

harry amphlett
Harry Amphlett
The book is entitled, "Through nature to eternity - The bog bodies of northwest europe" and is by Wijnand van der Sanden. Publisher is Batavian Lion International, Amsterdam.

best

Harry Amphlett
Harry Amphlett

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First century Germanic quivers Lusolad 1 350 01-12-2022, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Germanic Spatha 2nd Century Sagart Hring Popa 2 2,480 06-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Last Post: XorX
  1st Century Germanic Shield Boss madoc 12 5,686 06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Last Post: madoc