Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionaries and Auxiliary on the Traian\'s Column
Dear Members

I want to ask you a question that many of you will consider foolish, however I ask equally.
Why the legionary's figure has always been combined to the image of the Traian's Column that withdraws the milites with segments and the rectangular shield?

It's common opinion in fact that the prototype of the Legionary imperial age is that with segmentata and rectangular shield, while Auxiliary with lorica Hamata and ovoidal shield.
I would like indeed to know on the base of what gives archaeological these associations are born.

You excuse me if I have made sense of badly, as you know my English it is not good.
Velite
Rita Lotti
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsdimicandi.net">www.arsdimicandi.net
It's not a foolish question Rita- I'm hardly an expert, but I would expect that it's partly at least because when there's no better information, people go with what they do know. It's probably analogous to the use of red for everything- it's what people have always seen and thus opt for in the absence of any other information. Another example would be the commonality of Eastern archers even though surely there were archers from elsewhere as well. I don't think it's a commentary on what MUST have been, but rather what groups decide to portray. It doesn't mean they believe there was no other possibility or anything like that...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I don't think that's such a very common opinion anymore. I personally much prefer the Adamklissi imagery to get a better idea of what was worn at the time, and really hate looking at Trajan's Column for finding out what was worn.

But there can surely be no denial that the segmentata was in very widespread use, as actual pieces have been found from Scotland to Syria, covering roughly 250 years so far.

Caballo, Peronis, where are you?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Why the legionary's figure has always been combined to the image of the Traian's Column that withdraws the milites with segments and the rectangular shield?
For one thing, the segmentata-wearers are associated with the legionary standards, Rita.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks to all of you for the answers

Deal Campell,

Quote:For one thing, the segmentata-wearers are associated with the legionary standards, Rita.

I don't see in your sentence an answer to my question: Why this association Legionary = Segmentata + rectangular shield and instead Auxiliary = hamata + ovoidal shield?

Why many researchers, experienced or common people say that the figures in segmented and rectangular shield that they are on the column Traiana they are certainly legionaries?

Which are the archaeological bases or visual bases (Tombstones or monumental) to decide these attributions?

Thank you very much for the attention.
Velite
Rita Lotti
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsdimicandi.net">www.arsdimicandi.net
I've not had the opportunity to read them, but there are:

Coulston, J.C.N., 'The value of Trajan's column as a source for military equipment' in: C. van Driel-Murray (ed.), BARi 479: The sources of evidence (Oxford 1989), 31-44.

Rossi, L., Trajan's column and the Dacian wars (London 1971).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hello Rita

Quote:Why this association Legionary = Segmentata + rectangular shield and instead Auxiliary = hamata + ovoidal shield?

Why many researchers, experienced or common people say that the figures in segmented and rectangular shield that they are on the column Traiana they are certainly legionaries?

You may find the answer summarized in Bishop and Coulston 'Roman Military Equipment' second edition 2006 Chapter 10 pages 254-259.

Apart from Trajan's Column the distinction between Legionary and Auxiliary equipment appears to be clear on military tombstones as well. Legionaries have curved shields oval or rectangular and carry a pilum while Auxiliaries have flat shields oval or rectangular and carry hasta. This is supported by archaeological finds for example the curved rectangular shield boss from the Tyne which has a legionary inscription or in literature where Tacitus mentions the different fighting tactics of the Legionaries and Auxiliaries. Mike Bishop is a member of RAT and I am sure he can add many other examples in support.

On Trajan's Column the 'Legionaries' are shown engaged in engineering work while the 'Auxiliaries' both infantry and cavalry carry out skirmishing and scouting.

Hope this helps

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auxiliary shield on Trajan\'s column Titvs Statilivs Castvs 10 2,758 08-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Trajan\'s Column - interesting Auxiliary - Batavian? Paullus Scipio 42 10,741 02-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Robert
  Traian\'s Parthian war? Malko Linge 6 2,251 07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Mitra