Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello...
Just getting into the reenacting here, I wanted to ask, how are the turnouts for reenactors in North America?

I certainly wish I lived in Britain or europe now for this setting.
Tiberius Moravius Arvernius
(aka Bill Bilecki)
You and me both Bill Big Grin But there in the US there are a good number of reenactors... there are a few groups in your area I think. And welcome to the forum.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hi Bill, welcome to RAT.

Numbers are increasing all the time, both in terms of events and turnout at events. Anybody have numbers from Roman Days the past few years?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
I don't know about Roman Days, but we had amazing turnout at Castra Romana V in South Carolina this past month.
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=8526
Check out the pictures I posted towards the end of the thread. I've only been to two "real" events (the others were either movie or documentary shoots), both Castras, but it seems that the turnout numbers are on the rise! Smile
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
If you have a look at the group links on the LEGXX website- [url:27n0k5as]http://www.larp.com/legioxx/groups.html[/url] you'll find many of the groups there in the US. There's a world-wide map on the Romanarmy.com main site that shows locations too...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I am truly sorry I missed Castra Romana V it sounded like something most excellent. This brings me to a question though.

I used to re-enact the revolutionary war period and there was always a shortage of adversaries, the english/ german groups were always in short supply and some of us took to getting an alternative kit to help out when the numbers were low (hey you cant be the good guys with no bad guys to fight right?).

In reading the account of Castra Romana V the writer spent a lot of time switching gear between a legio member, gladiator and a chieftain of a Germanic tribe.

My question is does that add a lot to what an individual brings to events, in other words is there a listing of barbarian groups that goes hand in hand with the Legio listings.

@Matt I have already contacted the commander of Legio XXIV now its just a matter of getting kitted out, just curious how many kits I will want. :lol:
Tiberius Moravius Arvernius
(aka Bill Bilecki)
Hi Bill, we had 22 legionaries for this past Roman Days, and four Celts. George Metz and the rest of XXIV are at RD with us as well as other groups. I dont' know where you are in NJ, but you're welcome to attend our monthly fabrica. Email Matt Amt ( [email protected] ) about getting on the news list.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Legio IX Hispana has new chapters in VA, TN, GA and PA

[url:17ubbrmv]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]

Drop me a line..

[email protected]
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
There were about 15-20 Romans at Roman Days MD last year, and as Rich said, 20+ this year. Us in Leg III Cyr hope to have an even better turnout for RDMD next year!

For events up in New England, we've had about a dozen at some events, and if we had *everyone* in our group, including merchants/vendors and civilians, we have over 30 members - and I believe we have about 20 soldiers, mixed both Legionaries and some Aux's.

As for visitor/patron numbers, I can't readily tell you, I've too many things to worry about to count people coming in, but our Roman Market Days in Maine have had probably a few hundred; our Roman Days Northeast have had probably a hundred or so.

At Higgins, where Leg III and myself give monthly demos, I've had as little as half a dozen to over 100 for those regular demos, as as many as 400+ come to the museum for museum special events (such as Founder's Day 1st weekend in January)...Dare I say/If I remember correctly, as many as 1,000 visitors at one event.

The numbers for visitors I've seen fluctuate over the years, it's just one of those things you can't easily anticipate. What's [worse] with being in New England/Massachusetts, there is a stubborn tradition of F&I, Rev War and ACW events, as those are the periods that are most heavily rooted in this region. (there has also been an incredible explosion of "weekend events" of all shapes sizes and interests in the last 3 years)

Trying to have Roman or Medieval has always been tricky, the "unique"/"quirky" factor of the ancient reenacting has been difficult to 'market'. Although as Roman info and availability of good gear becomes more common, we've seen some interest from [ACW] reenactors/cross-over, as well as interest as we as a group try to make ourselves better known.

To answer your question on Celtic/"Enemy" reenactor groups, that's really in it's early stages I think. The "enemies" at RD MD have been outstanding, and there are some who are trying hard. Hopefully as more information is found, we'll have a better catalog for [celtic] stuff, as have the Roman stuff has been in the last 10 someodd years.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)